Win2012 R2 WSUS painful slow download speed. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am currently struggling with WSUS 6.3 that is included in Windows 2012 R2. The speed WSUS use to download critical updates is ridiculously slow. It annoys me greatly.

I found several solution to this issue but there are too many. What is the easy and the right approach to resolve this mindboggling issue?

Friendly Regards, Master-DXT.

Sunday, July 26, 2015 1:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If we want to increase the download speed of BITS, we may try to set the BITS in foreground mode.

SQLCMD.exe -S \\.\pipe\Microsoft##WID\tsql\query -d "SUSDB" -Q "update tbConfigurationC set BitsDownloadPriorityForeground=1"

Note: SQLCMD is not included in WSUS v6.3 by default. We need to download the ODBC driver and SQL commandline utils manually.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Master-DXT Tuesday, July 28, 2015 3:20 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Master-DXT Tuesday, July 28, 2015 3:49 PM
    Monday, July 27, 2015 3:55 AM
  • Thank you, Steven.

I am going to try this later on and will let you know if this work. :)

Monday, July 27, 2015 11:18 AM
  • Getting "Unclosed quotation mark after the character string 'update tbConfigurationC set B
    itsDownloadPriorityForeground=1" When I copy paste your command.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2015 3:51 PM
  • Unclosed quotation mark is an SQL error. Its literally stating that you didn't close the quotation marks properly. Quotation marks contain statements so  'needs to be closed by' and "needs to be closed by" Check what you're copying and pasting.
    Sunday, July 2, 2017 7:52 PM