win2008 each 15min generates three personal certificates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

we have DC on w2008R2 and each 15min we have the CPU performance for 100% (next 5mins) because of taskhost.exe (96%). When I opened in MMC the certificate Snap-In I found we have many certificates provided by our PDC. I have tried to found the reason but no success. In event log I see many warnings event ID 64. I will appreciate all help.

Thanks Vasek

Monday, February 20, 2017 12:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For event ID 64:A computer certificate on a managed computer, not a certification authority (CA), must be renewed when it passes 90 percent of its validity period or has expired. Because a successful renewal will generally be initiated before the certificate reaches 90 percent of its lifetime, this error indicates that there may be a problem automatically obtaining a new certificate via autoenrollment.

REF:https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc774595(v=ws.10).aspx

Do you have ADCS in your domain?If you have,please check the certificate renewal period and autoenrollment process.

REF:Troubleshooting Autoenrollment

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/xdot509/2012/10/18/troubleshooting-autoenrollment/

Best Regards
    Cartman
    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 2:25 AM
  • Hi,

I investigate that the task SystemTask in \Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient is launched every 5min, but the trigger is set up on 8hour. Strange is that this each 5min request is by Event:

Task Scheduler launched "{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}"  instance of task "\Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\SystemTask"  according to an event trigger.

I tried to disable the option On event (temporary solution- hope not very problematic), but I would like to know what kind of event requests this task. Can you help me with it?

Thank you

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:34 AM
  • Hi,

I have checked in my lab.The SystemTask have 3 triggers.

Did you have these triggers too?

If there is nothing created or modified the task,the cause may be in the custom trigger that I  can't confirm,it should be by design.If you still want to know what it is,I suggest you open a case with Microsoft, more in-depth investigation can be done so that you would get a more satisfying explanation and solution to this issue.

Here is the link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/support-options-for-business

Best Regards
    Cartman
    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, February 23, 2017 4:27 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see if the problem has been resolved. If there's anything you'd like to know, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards
    Cartman

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:03 AM