locked
CCMSetup.exe appcrash on Windows 7 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

     Starting last night client installation for SCCM 2012 R2 stopped working on our Windows 7 machines.

    • Windows 10 client installation still works fine. 
    • We do strictly manual client installation for now, by running ccmsetup.exe from the \client server directory. 
    • The client installation does not even run long enough to generate a CCMSetup.log file, so there are no logs to reference on the client machine.
    • We have never had any issues with manual client installation as far as I know. 
    • The install immediately fails with "CCMSETUP.EXE has stopped working". Error details below...

    Thanks for any insight or ideas. 

    Problem signature:<o:p></o:p>

    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH<o:p></o:p>

    Application Name: ccmsetup.exe<o:p></o:p>

    Application Version: 5.0.8239.1001<o:p></o:p>

    Application Timestamp: 553aca92<o:p></o:p>

    Fault Module Name: ccmsetup.exe<o:p></o:p>

    Fault Module Version: 5.0.8239.1001<o:p></o:p>

    Fault Module Timestamp: 553aca92<o:p></o:p>

    Exception Code: 40000015<o:p></o:p>

    Exception Offset: 000e22f5<o:p></o:p>

    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4<o:p></o:p>

    Locale ID: 1033<o:p></o:p>

    Additional Information 1: 37ef<o:p></o:p>

    Additional Information 2: 37ef565a9ae5086775e7c655f22802bd<o:p></o:p>

    Additional Information 3: 3b70<o:p></o:p>

    Additional Information 4: 3b705bcdd9d47ce7f75769898e9afcb1<o:p></o:p>


    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 11:20 PM

Answers

  • Yes, sorry for the delay in response. The issue was that our CA was recently upgraded to SHA2, but the root cert had not been upgraded. Once a new root cert was created, our client installs started working properly again. 

    This seems to be a fairly common issue that was made apparent by the eventual 0x87d00280 we started receiving. It was just odd at first when the client install was failing with the APPCRASH error. Made sense once we started receiving the other error.

    • Proposed as answer by Frank Dong Wednesday, October 12, 2016 2:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Dong Wednesday, October 12, 2016 1:30 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 3:33 PM

All replies

  • Was client.msi.log created? Have you tried copying the files from the site server to the client and running locally? Does restarting a client computer then trying to reinstall the sccm agent have any effect? Any AV on the Windows 7 machines, if yes have you tried disabling AV?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 11:32 PM
  • Thanks for your response. No logs were initially created (more info on that below). I did try copying locally and it didn't work. Restarting also did not do the trick. Never had the chance to disable AV. 

    Coincidentally, after working on it all afternoon unsuccessfully, I was just now able to get the client installer to work while I concurrently ran ProcMon. However, the client still did not get installed successfully. But, since it ran ccmsetup it did create logs, so I looked at the ccmsetup.log. 

    It returned error code 0x87d00280, which looks to be a cert error. 

    Tomorrow when I'm back in the office I will test more machines. 

    Thanks again. 


    • Edited by AZPhotog Thursday, September 15, 2016 12:08 AM
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 12:07 AM
  • 0x87d00280 = "Empty certificate store"

    Have you got your site using PKI? Is it possible you don't have client certificates to autoenroll on your Win 7 machines but you do on your Win 10 machines?

    Thursday, September 15, 2016 12:12 AM
  • Dear Sir,

    Sorry but it has been weeks without any update, may I know if you have got the issue solved? Could you share the solution? Thanks in advance.

    Best regards

    Frank


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 2:52 AM
  • Yes, sorry for the delay in response. The issue was that our CA was recently upgraded to SHA2, but the root cert had not been upgraded. Once a new root cert was created, our client installs started working properly again. 

    This seems to be a fairly common issue that was made apparent by the eventual 0x87d00280 we started receiving. It was just odd at first when the client install was failing with the APPCRASH error. Made sense once we started receiving the other error.

    • Proposed as answer by Frank Dong Wednesday, October 12, 2016 2:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Dong Wednesday, October 12, 2016 1:30 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 3:33 PM