how much data is required RRS feed

• Question

• i installed wsus 3.x on a Windows Server 2012 R2 host the other day and have provided, initially, 100GB for drive D: where the updates should be kept. yesterday, i saw that the drive D: is almost full so i added 50GB more. today i noticed that the drive D: is again almost full!! i only selected updates for Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012 R2. i have been using the cleaning wizard but i only get a few MBs freed up.

on the size, what should be the ideal drive size (drive D: for me) where the updates should be kept?

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 11:56 AM

Answers

• if only one can download an .ISO that contains the updates for the past 6 months then that will be perfect.

MSFT previously offered that, but it is now discontinued..

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/913086/security-updates-are-available-on-iso-9660-dvd5-image-files-from-the-microsoft-download-center

Have you enabled 'Express installation files'?  (If so, consider disabling that, since it requires maybe 4x disk space)

The Server Cleanup Wizard (SCW), is able to release more disk space, if you are regularly (monthly) correctly performing 'Decline' of not-required/superseded updates. The SCW does not otherwise find much to cleanup (only expired updates, which are not usually many).

When you have performed your patch-management routine, and you have deployed the desired updated, if any of those new updates cause older updates to become 'superseded', then you can/should 'Decline' those superseded updates, and then SCW will be more effective.

This is especially the case now that MSFT are releasing 'Security Monthly Quality Rollup Updates' and 'Security Only Quality Updates', because SMQRU contains everything inside SOQU anyway. And each new SMQRU supersedes all previous monthly SMQRU.

Similar patterns exist for the .NET Framework monthly Rollups for .NET FW 4.x (but not yet .NET FW 3.x)

These days, updates are very large, and now that many are Rollups and becoming Cumulative, will never be smaller..

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Marked as answer by Reno Mardo Monday, March 13, 2017 1:43 PM
    Monday, March 13, 2017 6:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

on the size, what should be the ideal drive size (drive D: for me) where the updates should be kept?

>>>For the problem, the article below may be helpful to you.

What to do when your WSUSContent folder grows too large

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/gborger/2009/02/27/what-to-do-when-your-wsuscontent-folder-grows-too-large/

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:45 PM
  • my WSUS install uses default settings and i have checked the article they're the same.

i will not do a reset since if i'm using the default settings, wsus will re-download the same contents anyway.

i guess with Windows Server 2008/2012 R2, hard disk space of 200GB is the norm to be consumed by the critical and security updates.

i run the cleanup wizard daily and i only get less than 50MB free.

Thursday, January 12, 2017 5:39 AM
  • Hi Reno,

For the disk size, you could configure WSUS download only update metadata, and the update files are downloaded to client computer at the time of installation.

If you decide to store update files on your server, the recommended minimum disk size is 30 GB. However, depending on your synchronization options (in particular, multiple update languages or express installation files), you might need more disk space. If you download updates in five languages, you will need approximately double the size of the content directory you would need for just one language.

And it recommended that only download the products and the classifications, which you need.

Here is an article below for your reference.

Specifying Where to Store the Updates

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708492%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 9:00 AM
  • i am using default settings and downloading only security and critical updates for Windows Server 2008/2012 R2. i am also using the English language only.

i have also checked my settings against what is suggested here

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/gborger/2009/02/27/what-to-do-when-your-wsuscontent-folder-grows-too-large/

and am following the suggestions.

i have to download locally updates as my clients have no internet access so they must get their updates from the WSUS server.

it's really annoying that from 100GB now i have 200GB hd and still am running out of space. the cleanup wizard only removes a handful of MBs.

Sunday, January 22, 2017 6:36 AM
  • Hi,

Is the WSUS server an upstream WSUS server?

If yes, if there are downstream WSUS server sync updates from this upstream WSUS server? And if the downstream WSUS server point to this upstream WSUS server sync updates, this upstream WSUS server will download those updates, which the downstream WSUS server needs, to local.

In addition, have you checked the drivers to sync? I suggest you try to check if you have check the drivers to sync. If yes, I suggest you un-check the Drivers and run the command WSUSUTIL /RESET on WSUS server like below.

Best Regards,

Jay

Monday, January 23, 2017 8:16 AM
  • i only have security and critical updates selected. it is the only WSUS server and it's getting updates from Microsoft servers.

i will try that reset though.

Monday, January 23, 2017 8:59 AM
  • i have checked the provided links, suggested changes, still the WSUS data drive keeps growing. i'm using default settings.

i started with 100GB, then 150GB, then 200GB and still not enough.

doesn't Microsoft have any documentation to tell what is the hd size required? at least to maintain the security updates.

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 10:01 AM
  • Hi,

Please check the article below.

Determine WSUS Capacity Requirements

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708483(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 10:12 AM
  • hi, the article and similar like that only states the minimum. i had 200GB exclusively for the updates and it is not enough. as i've mentioned before, i have everything set to default, English language only, and the drive keeps filling up. maintenance doesn't work as it only removes a few KBs.

if only one can download an .ISO that contains the updates for the past 6 months then that will be perfect.

Sunday, March 12, 2017 5:25 AM
  • if only one can download an .ISO that contains the updates for the past 6 months then that will be perfect.

MSFT previously offered that, but it is now discontinued..

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/913086/security-updates-are-available-on-iso-9660-dvd5-image-files-from-the-microsoft-download-center

Have you enabled 'Express installation files'?  (If so, consider disabling that, since it requires maybe 4x disk space)

The Server Cleanup Wizard (SCW), is able to release more disk space, if you are regularly (monthly) correctly performing 'Decline' of not-required/superseded updates. The SCW does not otherwise find much to cleanup (only expired updates, which are not usually many).

When you have performed your patch-management routine, and you have deployed the desired updated, if any of those new updates cause older updates to become 'superseded', then you can/should 'Decline' those superseded updates, and then SCW will be more effective.

This is especially the case now that MSFT are releasing 'Security Monthly Quality Rollup Updates' and 'Security Only Quality Updates', because SMQRU contains everything inside SOQU anyway. And each new SMQRU supersedes all previous monthly SMQRU.

Similar patterns exist for the .NET Framework monthly Rollups for .NET FW 4.x (but not yet .NET FW 3.x)

These days, updates are very large, and now that many are Rollups and becoming Cumulative, will never be smaller..

• Marked as answer by Reno Mardo Monday, March 13, 2017 1:43 PM
    Monday, March 13, 2017 6:45 AM
  • i have default settings. didn't check if 'Express installation files' was enabled by default.

i only have a few weeks, maybe a month, of using WSUS so maybe that's why SCW wasn't much help.

i never noticed this 'Security Monthly Quality Rollup Updates' as a setting in WSUS. i only checked Windows Server 2008/2012 R2 and security updates. haven't encountered superceded updates.

i'll give this another try with 500GB this time. hopefully, i will find a middle ground.

Monday, March 13, 2017 1:43 PM
  • i never noticed this 'Security Monthly Quality Rollup Updates' as a setting in WSUS. i only checked Windows Server 2008/2012 R2 and security updates. haven't encountered superceded updates.

i'll give this another try with 500GB this time. hopefully, i will find a middle ground.

'Security Monthly Quality Rollup' updates, were introduced November 2016, the Classification is "Security Updates"

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=security%20monthly%20quality

And, a similar concept for .NET Framework

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=security%20quality%20framework

Monday, March 13, 2017 8:14 PM