none
Dynamic Security Category RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a Project Online instance and for the last couple of years have had a security category that includes projects dynamically when the user is either the Project Owner or on the Project Team.

This category is matched up with a View (as in, categories which access this view) I created with the idea that from Project Centre a user can get a quick snapshot of their own projects. The view is configured with a filter against a custom field - project status not equal to closed. Other than that it's just a way to use that security category to show a list of relevant projects.

It's been working fine for ages! Zero problems and a helpful screen for our users. However!...

Over the the last couple of weeks I've had two people report back that they have stray projects in their list. It started with one project in two different people's lists, and now one of those same people has another project. They are neither the Owner, on the team in the past or now (and project has been recently published to confirm this is current).

I really am at a total loss what else to check. Any ideas?

Here's my category settings:

Thursday, May 11, 2017 11:54 PM

Answers

• Bonjour,

Have a look a the project permissions! You will probably found that the user or the group was granted permissions on those projects.

Mermoz

Friday, May 12, 2017 9:26 AM
  • Hi Jessica,

not sure, what happened ... Is it possible the user had access to the project and created a task? This would make him or her to a Status Manager of that project. Please check the column Statusmanager. If it is not "Status Manager", it could be another category using specific view. You can get the "reason", using "Check effective Rights" für both users (one by one) from PWA Settings - Manage Users. Select "Category Permission - Project" and select the project, which may be displayed "by mistake". You will see group and category, causing project to be displayed.

Does that help?
    Barbara

Friday, May 12, 2017 9:31 AM

All replies

• Bonjour,

Have a look a the project permissions! You will probably found that the user or the group was granted permissions on those projects.

Mermoz

Friday, May 12, 2017 9:26 AM
  • Hi Jessica,

not sure, what happened ... Is it possible the user had access to the project and created a task? This would make him or her to a Status Manager of that project. Please check the column Statusmanager. If it is not "Status Manager", it could be another category using specific view. You can get the "reason", using "Check effective Rights" für both users (one by one) from PWA Settings - Manage Users. Select "Category Permission - Project" and select the project, which may be displayed "by mistake". You will see group and category, causing project to be displayed.

Does that help?
    Barbara

Friday, May 12, 2017 9:31 AM
  • Thank you so much! My eyes had skipped over that button for years and it is so helpful

Thanks again

Monday, May 15, 2017 12:05 AM
  • Thank you so much. The project owner appears to have added all categories to their project permissions... I thought I had turned off the ability for them to even use project permissions so this was enlightening!
    Monday, May 15, 2017 12:06 AM