none
IP addresses from DHCP doesn't work even though static IP addresses are working fine

Question

• I have configured DHCPv6 with 2002:1212:a0b:3333::/62 scope and assigned the DHCP server 2002:1212:a0b:3333::2 static ip address. 

then configured another server to get dynamic IP addres from dhcp server but when I tried to ping 2002:1212:a0b:3333::2 I get general failure, however when i assign static IP address like 2002:1212:a0b:3333::5 and try to ping 2002:1212:a0b:3333::2 it works fine.

Thanks in advance

Saturday, August 26, 2017 2:48 PM

Answers

• Yes, but this for IPV4 only, DHCPv6 doesn't has this option.

https://www.networkworld.com/article/2228461/microsoft-subnet/setting-up-dhcpv6-to-dynamically-issue-ipv6-addresses-in-a-network.html

• Marked as answer by Ahmed-Mahmoud Monday, August 28, 2017 8:43 AM
    Monday, August 28, 2017 7:49 AM
  • Hi Ahmed-Mahmoud,

Thanks for the correction. Yes, the option is for IPV4 only. IPV6's gateway should be configured manually.

DHCP will not distribute gateway. In IPv6, you could't specify the default gateway on links where they exist through DHCP.

You could write a script and put it in GPO to push it.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 28, 2017 8:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Ahmed-Mahmoud,

>>then configured another server to get dynamic IP addres from dhcp server but when I tried to ping 2002:1212:a0b:3333::2 I get general failure

If the IP address is dynamically assigned, please make sure that another computer on the network isn't using the same IP address. You can do this by disconnecting the network cable for the server that you are working with and pinging the IP address in question. If you receive a response from the ping test, you know that another computer is using the IP address. This computer probably has an improper static IP address or a reservation that isn't set up properly. 

In addition, you could use the IPCONFIG command to renew and release settings:

To release the current settings for all network adapters, type ipconfig /release at the command line. Then renew the lease by typing ipconfig /renew

For your reference:

troubleshooting and testing network settings

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd163567.aspx

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 28, 2017 5:54 AM
  • Thank you Candy for your reply. Actually the issue has been solved after assigning a static gateway to the machine.

I don't understand why this solved the issue as both machines on the same network and dhcp doesn't distribute gateway.

Monday, August 28, 2017 6:59 AM
  • Hi Ahmed-Mahmoud,

>>I don't understand why this solved the issue as both machines on the same network and dhcp doesn't distribute gateway.

DHCP will not provide default gateway addresses to clients resulting in loss of connectivity for client computers if you do not set the default gateway option (option 3)  for one or more scopes. 

For your reference:

DHCP: The server should be configured to send its default gateway to all clients

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee941211(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Candy

Monday, August 28, 2017 7:43 AM
  • Yes, but this for IPV4 only, DHCPv6 doesn't has this option.

https://www.networkworld.com/article/2228461/microsoft-subnet/setting-up-dhcpv6-to-dynamically-issue-ipv6-addresses-in-a-network.html

Monday, August 28, 2017 7:49 AM
  • Hi Ahmed-Mahmoud,

Thanks for the correction. Yes, the option is for IPV4 only. IPV6's gateway should be configured manually.

DHCP will not distribute gateway. In IPv6, you could't specify the default gateway on links where they exist through DHCP.

You could write a script and put it in GPO to push it.

Best Regards,

Candy

Monday, August 28, 2017 8:42 AM
  • Yes, I'm going to do that. 

Thank for your usual support.

Monday, August 28, 2017 8:43 AM
  • Yeah I have also encountered with the same problem please suggest me a specified solution for using ipv6 dhcp. Thanks.
    Thursday, January 18, 2018 5:04 AM