none
Re: Newby Group Policy question ....

Question

• Hi All,

Sincere apologies in advance if this is a dumb question to ask! I work as a first line IT bod and know hardly anything about Group policy (GP) but it would help if I knew how to do this as I do create accounts and find myself scratching around in the dirt a bit!

We have several sites and each site has several security groups (for the different teams). When I new employees in AD I assign them to a security group (ie: Human Resources) and this group determines what software shortcuts they get, what mapped drives they have etc etc when they log in. Now it would help me immensely in setting up new users if I could just 'see' what software/mapped drives etc a specific group (ie: Human Resources) gives a user.

I've accessed 'Group Policy Management' in Admin Tools on our server (Windows Server 2008 R2) and located 'Group Policy Objects' (GPO) but I daren't touch anything in case I mess something up. Is there anywhere in GPO where I can look to find what I need? Have tried Google but I just keep getting results on how to set up GPO's which I don't need. I just need to be able to understand the groups that are already set up.

Monday, January 11, 2016 4:43 PM

Answers

All replies