none
Repair of Primary DPM Server RRS feed

• Question

• Situation:

Primary and Secondary DPM 2010 configuration.   Primary DPM Server has issues installing Windows update.  Based on a support call to MS, they recommended that I do an upgrade with 2008R2 SP1 disk to correct the corruption in the ability to install windows updates.  DPM and SQL were stopped for the upgrade process. During this time protected servers were failed over to the 2ndary DPM server.  Now Primary DPM server is  back online.  I have transferred a couple of protected servers back to the primary DPM server.  System states backups of the protected servers are failing with this error:

DPM cannot create a backup because Windows Server Backup (WSB) on the protected computer encountered an error (WSB Event ID: 546, WSB Error Code:  0x80780071). (ID 30229 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909FB)  .  It has also displays it doesn't have the ability to write to the location on primary DPM server when you look at the offending server's event logs.

Also...on the secondary server the view of the protected servers which used to display the protected server's volume, now displays the c:\ drive location of the replica volume on the primary DPM server.  In the past it displayed the drive letters that were associated with the protected server.  So if the protected server has a C: ,D: and an E:\ drive, the protected server now shows 3 C: drive locations on the primary DPM server.  (which reflects where the replica is).

I'm guessing this is a side effect of running the upgrade repair on the server.  Question now is ....is my primary server toast.   If I do a DR restore of DPM will it correct how the volumes are showing up the secondary server.

or...any other suggestions?

thanks

Homer

Saturday, June 2, 2012 5:37 AM

Answers

• I opened a call with MS.  Basically the DPM server had lost some of its knowledge of volumes being used.  We ended up  running the dpmsync -sync command after a db backup. This seemed to work.

Homer.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 9:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When making the secondary DPM sevrer your primary did you use the Switch-Protection from the GUI?

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 8:24 PM
  • I opened a call with MS.  Basically the DPM server had lost some of its knowledge of volumes being used.  We ended up  running the dpmsync -sync command after a db backup. This seemed to work.

Homer.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 9:54 PM