none
Strange behaviour of MSP 2003 during Import from Excel RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i work on an import from excel to msp 2003 and it is quite easy using the import wizard. I am able to assign all fields correctly, but after the import MSP 2003 automatically sets all tasks to "Finished". I have no idea why...

I import "planned start" and "planned end" to have a baseline...and "actual start" and "actual end" with the reported values from the projects. Ideally I would like to import "percentage completed" as well - but this ends up in very strange results.

Any hint ? All the books that I have found end up with "please run the wizzard :-)"

Background: Task planning is done outside of MSP and I just want to import Actuals, Baseline and maybe Ressources and %Completed to get a nice Gantt Chart and to use the reporting features of Project.

Thanks for your help.

Marcus

• Moved by Robert Breitenhofer Friday, October 19, 2012 5:50 AM English instead German (From:Microsoft Office System)
    • Moved by Cindy Meister MVP Saturday, October 20, 2012 6:35 AM MS Project, not developer (From:General Office Development)
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:09 AM

Answers

• You may be getting issues with the information you are trying to import.  Number of values you listed are calculated off of one another -- so if import is causing conflicts, you'll end up with information being changed. For example, if you attempted to import an Actual Start and an Actual Finish, project will mark the task as 100% complete based on the calculation derived from the dates. So trying to import a % complete other than 100%, it won't work. Actual fields are recalculated upon import to Project.  So, the % complete in project  is being recalculated based upon actual and remaining duration in working time.

Also, check that you have SP3 installed for 2003 project. So you may try importing non-conflicting fields and let the project calculate for you. 

Sapna Shukla

Sunday, October 21, 2012 10:35 AM

All replies

• You may be getting issues with the information you are trying to import.  Number of values you listed are calculated off of one another -- so if import is causing conflicts, you'll end up with information being changed. For example, if you attempted to import an Actual Start and an Actual Finish, project will mark the task as 100% complete based on the calculation derived from the dates. So trying to import a % complete other than 100%, it won't work. Actual fields are recalculated upon import to Project.  So, the % complete in project  is being recalculated based upon actual and remaining duration in working time.

Also, check that you have SP3 installed for 2003 project. So you may try importing non-conflicting fields and let the project calculate for you. 

Sapna Shukla

Sunday, October 21, 2012 10:35 AM
  • Thanks for your help. I did some more investigation based on your hint and detected a number of cross dependies, which make an import quite interesting. If you have in mind, that you want to have at the end a gantt-chart containing x,y,z it is a real task to identify the right values. I will post the final results here, may be this will help others.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:48 AM
  • Hi Marcus,

Thanks for update, please do post your findings it will be definitely very helpful to others.

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:43 AM
  • Hi,

I tried several things and it is quite interesting - I assume that this is not really a feature. The most important thing I have detected is, that the percentage is quite sensible. So setting the task to 100% automatically means that the task has been finished - no matter whether you mark it or not. If the tas has not been started yet, then you have to set it manually to 0% completion rate.

I found some cross dependencies with dates as well, but I will try it with the next release in a more up to date version of project.

Thanks again fir the inspiring support

Marcus

Monday, May 26, 2014 5:30 PM