Lync Calls to PSTN gets disonnected after few rings if user is outside the organisation. RRS feed

• Question

• We are able to call from Lync  client to PSTN if user is inside office.

From outside office, it rings and the disconnects.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:43 AM

Answers

• The fact that it rings and disconnects suggests to me that there is an issue with establishing the audio path. You haven't stated if the Mediation server is co-located with the Front End (I am assuming it is).

Based on the category I also assume its 2010. Have you checked the next hop for the Mediation in Topology builder? Also if you grab the logs off the client it should give an indication of where the issue lies. Having SIP Stack trace from the Mediation server will also be useful. You may even see the issue reported in the Front Ends event log.

Time to dig a little deeper :-)

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer"
    Lync Sorted blog

• Proposed as answer by Eason Huang Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eason Huang Sunday, June 29, 2014 3:08 PM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 4:32 PM
  • Hi,

Did you receive any error message from the Event Viewer of FE server and Mediation server?

Check if you received Event ID 11.

If yes, as the initiate a call to PSTN network requires Edge Server and Lync Pool to establish a connection, you should double check port configuration between Edge Server and FE server, Mediation server and FE server.

More details:

http://terenceluk.blogspot.com/2011/01/outbound-call-to-pstn-network-fails.html

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,

Eason Huang

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:19 AM

All replies

• The calls you are referring to would be delivering audio over the Edge Server. Are Lync users inside the office able to make calls to Lync users outside the office? If so, then I would check the assigned next hop for the Mediation server. If not then you may need to check firewall ports and\or routing.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer"
    Lync Sorted blog

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:55 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, Lync to Lync call is working fine from inside to outside the office.

Lync to PSTN is also working inside office.

Lync to PSTN from outside office has some issue.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:29 AM
  • The fact that it rings and disconnects suggests to me that there is an issue with establishing the audio path. You haven't stated if the Mediation server is co-located with the Front End (I am assuming it is).

Based on the category I also assume its 2010. Have you checked the next hop for the Mediation in Topology builder? Also if you grab the logs off the client it should give an indication of where the issue lies. Having SIP Stack trace from the Mediation server will also be useful. You may even see the issue reported in the Front Ends event log.

Time to dig a little deeper :-)

Lync Sorted blog

• Proposed as answer by Eason Huang Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:18 AM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 4:32 PM
  • Hi,

Did you receive any error message from the Event Viewer of FE server and Mediation server?

Check if you received Event ID 11.

If yes, as the initiate a call to PSTN network requires Edge Server and Lync Pool to establish a connection, you should double check port configuration between Edge Server and FE server, Mediation server and FE server.

More details:

http://terenceluk.blogspot.com/2011/01/outbound-call-to-pstn-network-fails.html

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,

Eason Huang

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:19 AM