Using MDT in UEFI deployments RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone! 

MDT newbie here!  I am setting up a TS to deploy Windows 8.1/10 images to some computers with UEFI.  My question is what is the best way to populate the EFI partition automatically?  I have been messing around with running BCDBoot manually, but I would like to automate something that would do this. 

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 4:44 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your answer!

I created the TS from the Standard Client Task Sequence Template.  What step is this executed under?

Preinstall->New Computer Only->Format and Partition Disk.  It says MBR but, there is script logic to handle uEFI behind the scenes.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Cody Swanson Wednesday, August 26, 2015 7:02 PM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2015 5:58 PM

All replies

• If you create a standard task sequence using the wizard this is configured.  Until the update to 2013 Update 1 happens I would experiment with 2013 and Windows 8.1

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 4:49 PM

I created the TS from the Standard Client Task Sequence Template.  What step is this executed under?

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 4:53 PM

Preinstall->New Computer Only->Format and Partition Disk.  It says MBR but, there is script logic to handle uEFI behind the scenes.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 5:58 PM
  • So the best way to do this is leave "Format and Partition Disk" on MBR and just let the TS process like that?

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 6:25 PM
  • Current this is how it works :)

• Unmarked as answer by Cody Swanson Wednesday, August 26, 2015 7:02 PM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2015 6:38 PM
  • Alright, Thanks!
    Wednesday, August 26, 2015 7:02 PM
  • Additionally, please note that MDT 2013 Update 1 has some uEFI partitioning bugs, and I wouldn't trust it. There are some updates coming in mid-sept to fix ZTIDiskPart.wsf

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, August 31, 2015 4:39 AM