none
How to display base mesures and metrics in microsoft project 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I use microsoft project 2010 to collect base and control measures for metrics reporting.

I need the fields Actual Cost (AC), Earned Value(EV)(BCWP), Planned Value(PV), Cost Variance(CV), Schedule Variance (SV), %CV, %SV CPI, SPI, Variance At Completion (VAC) and %VAC in the plan.

Earned value (BCWP) should be obtained when the task is 100% Complete; ETC=0.(as agreed by clients)

The field AC should be filled in when the task is 100%; based on which CV is calculated.

What are the necessary configs I need to carry out so that I have the above listed values in the plan?

Please provide a workaround.

Thanks.

Kind Regards

Soudha

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:04 PM

All replies

• Don't know why you need a workaround - it sounds like simple EVM:

1) Create your schedule.  Assign costs using resources.

2) Baseline the schedule into Baseline0.

3) Advance the schedule with the status date and % complete

Do all of that (more or less) and it should calculate.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:06 AM
  • All the tasks are baselined. Nevertheless the BCWP is not filled for the tasks that completed.

AC should be filled in when the task is 100% complete, but actually AC has the same figure as Actual hours which is the ATD.

Infact I had this issue when I was using msp 2007 and a workaround was provided on the link:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/thread/bc7e388c-cfb2-4418-ba96-0a255de9f0a1

Unfortunately this does not work for msp 2010.

Kind Regards

Soudha

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:51 AM
  • Can you confirm the tasks have a baseline cost? That data should start updating as soon as an % is entered, not just 100%

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:02 AM
  • Souda,

Just to make sure we cover the bases, do you have SP1 installed? If not, download and install it at, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587

John

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:06 PM
  • Hello Rod / John,

Please note I have downloaded SP1 and CU August 2012.

The tasks do not have a baseline cost; so I can guess that they would not have Actual Cost as well (please correct me if I am wrong).

But the tasks have Baseline Works.

According to client demand,  Cost Variance is calculated for tasks that are completed only. So in my case EV is earned when the task is 100% complete. Since CV = EV -AC. Can you please advise fields I should consider in msp 2010?

%CV, %SV, CPI CPI are all blanks at my sides.

Please help.

Kind Regards

Soudha

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Earned value uses Baseline costs for all calculations, so no baseline cost, no EV. It looks like you have no resource rates. If you did, Actual Cost would be >0. At the very least set each rate to $1/h. You will then need to re-baseline or calculate and update baseline cost field manually. Then you will see results.

Just remember, Earned value is always based on costs, not work.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:32 PM
  • Hello Rod,

Indeed when I set the resource rate to at least $1hr and manually input the Baseline costs, the field AC was filled in with the values found in Actual work.

However, the other fields still show zero.

The field CV is not showing the appropriate figure as well. For the first task, it should have been 2 (177-175)(for an underburnt task) but CV field is showing ($175).

Can you please help on this?

Kind Regards

Soudha

Thursday, April 18, 2013 4:38 AM