none
Virtual DPM server 2012 R2 - Fibre Channel Tape library problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We've recently virtualised our DPM 2012 R2 (UR4) server and connected our fibre channel HP MSL2024 tape library (with LTO6) to it using the Hyper-V Fibre Channel Adapter.

Both Media Changer and LTO drive are appearing in DPM and the robot seems to be functioning properly (it loads up tape in the tape drive).

The problem is when I start a inventory (fast or detailled), i get the following error message:

"The detailed inventory of tape failed for the following reason: (ID 3316)
    DPM could not reserve the drive resource because one of required drive resources is not online or it needs cleaning or servicing. (ID 24052)".

During the operations, I can see tapes behind loaded in the tape drive.

Any ideas why or how to resolve this issue?

Thank you,
    Stephane

Monday, February 9, 2015 3:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

please start a Cleaning Job from SCDPM Console, and try again

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat | youtube.com/techguyat

Monday, February 9, 2015 9:30 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply.

I've tried to initiate a cleaning job, but the same error keeps appearing.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 6:01 AM
  • Hi,

The below blog may assist troubleshooting the issue. Please note for QueryDriveStatus.ps1 outlined in the blog the below noted lines will need to be adjusted accordingly to align with your environment. Once needed prep work is completed carry on from step 1 in noted blog.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2012/02/22/dpm-tape-jobs-take-longer-than-expected-or-fail-with-id-24052.aspx

>>Prep Work

Line 8: $instance = '.\msdpm2010' # <---- If DPM Database is on a different location, edit this line accordingly 

>The msdpm2010 will need to be replaced with your DPM SQL instance name.

>For example the SQL instance which, my DPMDB leverages is named MSSQLSERVERDPM>

>From DPM UI select management. On top ribbon select About DPM. From the about window towards the bottom note DPM’s SQL Server:  The format is as follows DPMServerName\SQLInstanceName\DPMDBName

Line 10: use dpmdb

>The dpmdb will need to be replaced with your DPM DB name

>Obtain DPMDBName from same process outlined above.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Dwayne Jackson II. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights."

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 1:01 PM
  • Hey Stephane,

I want to do the same thing as you do.

I have a DPM 2012 R2 and a MSL4048 connected on Hyper-V 2012 R2 via FC.

To clarify the situation I read a lot and it seems now for DPM 2012 R2 UR3 there's support for FC NPIV via Hyper-V.

Tape library support

Virtual tape libraries configured with a virtual Fibre Channel adapter are only supported when using System Center Data Protection Manager 2012 R2 U3 or later with certified hardware. For more information, see Compatible Tape Libraries for System Center 2012 DPM. To determine if a tape library is supported by virtual Fibre Channel adapter, contact the tape library hardware vendor or run the DPM Tape Library Compatibility Test tool. For additional information about the DPM Tape Library Compatibility Test took, see Verify tape library compatibility .

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18698.hyper-v-virtual-fibre-channel-troubleshooting-guide.aspx

But within the original documentation of DPM "Install DPM as a virtual machine on an on-premises Hyper-V server" I couldn't see more specific informations.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn440941.aspx

Would you do me a favor and explain a bit more how you done it so far?

How to setup the NPIV/connection and what kind of cards/drivers you used for example...

greetings from here to there

• Edited by Enrico Stephan Monday, February 16, 2015 8:26 AM corrections
    Monday, February 16, 2015 8:20 AM