Content folder sharing between management servers RRS feed

• Question

• I plan to install 4 App-V management servers, with each management server both publishing and streaming applications. The 4 servers will be load balanced using F5 or similar.

Should each server have its own separate content folder (which I would then obviously need to keep synchronised somehow), or can I have a single shared content folder on DFS/SAN which is used by all 4 App-V management servers? The latter option sounds like less maintenance, but I was wondering if there are any issues with locking/sharing of the App-V application files when more than onel App-V management server tries to access them. I was also wondering about the performance implications of each scenario.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Friday, November 12, 2010 2:02 PM

Answers

• The SAN will put a lock on the content store LUN so you will need a file cluster (using MSCS?) to present the Content Store on a UNC file share or similar.

I don't suppose anyone would know if in this situation, AppV would then stream direct from the Content Store to the client or would it still go through the Management Server(s) - I am assuming the later. I am concerned that the MSCS cluster would then present a bottleneck even if the Mgmt Servers are speedy machines.

• Marked as answer by Mark Johnstone Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:40 PM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:51 AM
  • I've opted for the former; each mgmt server has it's own content folder which is sync'd through DFS Replication.

Once replication was in place, there was no maintenance required - it just sits in the background and does it's thing.

Local storage is considerably cheaper than the Tier 1/2 SAN storage in place, and cost-savings is a primary focus, so it was a no-brainer here. Whether it's the most efficient is another question.

• Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, November 17, 2010 6:33 AM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 12:09 PM

All replies

• The SAN will put a lock on the content store LUN so you will need a file cluster (using MSCS?) to present the Content Store on a UNC file share or similar.

I don't suppose anyone would know if in this situation, AppV would then stream direct from the Content Store to the client or would it still go through the Management Server(s) - I am assuming the later. I am concerned that the MSCS cluster would then present a bottleneck even if the Mgmt Servers are speedy machines.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:51 AM
  • I've opted for the former; each mgmt server has it's own content folder which is sync'd through DFS Replication.

Once replication was in place, there was no maintenance required - it just sits in the background and does it's thing.

Local storage is considerably cheaper than the Tier 1/2 SAN storage in place, and cost-savings is a primary focus, so it was a no-brainer here. Whether it's the most efficient is another question.

• Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, November 17, 2010 6:33 AM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 12:09 PM
  • Thanks both for your answers. I'll go for separate content folders for each App-V management server (although those separate folders may well be on a SAN). I'll either manually copy or use DFS to keep them in sync.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 3:51 PM
  • Are you certain about the SAN lock? We have setup two AppV Management Servers -Network Load Balanced (Windows Server) - using a single Content Share located on another server. It appears to operate fine.
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 10:49 PM