none
Win 10: System drive shows in Explorer with drive letter... RRS feed

• Question

• How do I fix this?  I went to Disk Management and Disk 0 Partition 5 does NOT have a drive letter assigned and all options are grayed out.  However, in Windows Explorer I see it listed as Drive E: but you cannot explore the drive (as is expected).  How do I get rid of this listing in Windows Explorer?

Keith Barrows - http://about.me/keith.barrows

Monday, February 19, 2018 8:45 PM

Answers

• Hi Keith,

Open the command prompt and run diskpart.exe, then

list disk

select Disk 0

list partition

select partition 1 (the one corresponding with the hidden system drive)

remove

This will ONLY remove the drive letter it won't delete anything! Also note that the drive you are reffering to is Disk 0 partition 1 and not partition 5!

Regards

Simon

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful. Regards Simon Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by StarPilot Monday, February 19, 2018 9:22 PM
    Monday, February 19, 2018 9:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Keith,

Open the command prompt and run diskpart.exe, then

list disk

select Disk 0

list partition

select partition 1 (the one corresponding with the hidden system drive)

remove

This will ONLY remove the drive letter it won't delete anything! Also note that the drive you are reffering to is Disk 0 partition 1 and not partition 5!

Regards

Simon

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful. Regards Simon Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by StarPilot Monday, February 19, 2018 9:22 PM
    Monday, February 19, 2018 9:21 PM
  • Thanks!  I don't use DISKPART enough to remember it straight away.

It was Partition 5.  When I listed the partitions/volumes it showed 5 as letter E.  Removed the letter, rebooted, fiddled the remaining drives (most are attached VHDs), rebooted again and now I am back to normal.  Thanks.

Keith Barrows - http://about.me/keith.barrows

Monday, February 19, 2018 10:03 PM