SonicWall Email Security updates being blocked by TMG 2010 - 502 Proxy Error. The data is invalid? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a wierd issue going on.  TMG is working well on pretty much everything except downloading updates to my SonicWall Email Security box.  At first I thought it was because of the malware inspection, seeing as I'm downloading defintion and thumbprints of spam.  So I added the sonicwall servers to the malware exception list and also the SonicWall box itself to the exception list.  This didn't help.  Then I thought maybe it's something with compression so I disabled that.  Still no help. 

So I put a small router on my network with its wan port on our internet side and the lan port connected to the sonicwall box directly so I could bypass the TMG.  The updates completed without errors.

Now I know that the SonicWall box is ok so I went back to TMG.  I disabled malware and NIS inspection completely and waited for SonicWall to update and the updates still failed.  I checked the SonicWall logs to get the URL it failed on and copied it into my own browser to see what was returned and I get this:

Error Code: 502 Proxy Error. The data is invalid. (13)

So I plug my own computer into the temporary router, go to the exact same URL, and I get the thumbprint data (a big text file).  I turned on logging in TMG and this is what comes up when it blocks the data:

Failed Connection Attempt (ServerName) 8/4/2010 11:18:17 AM
    Log type: Web Proxy (Forward)
    Rule: Allow Web Access for All Users
    Source: Internal (IPHidden:1939)
    Destination: External (204.212.170.220:80)
    Request: GET http://eg-update.es.global.sonicwall.com/eg-tpupdate?last=20100715010002&esn=91429b848420206ae7160d7f6090cb6e&version=7.2.3.3283&type=IG
    Filter information: Req ID: 0b965c1c; Compression: client=No, server=Yes, compress rate=0% decompress rate=0%

What is TMG stumbling on?  What else can I try?  Again the data is valid, traffic not going through the TMG works fine, but TMG is for whatever reason blocking this or saying it's invalid. 

-Allan

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:23 PM

Answers

All replies