Sharepoint_config fails / Access to spadmin.en-US.resx denied RRS feed

• Question

• We're running WSS 3.0 on SBS 2008.  After installing Security Update for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 x64 (KB2687442), an error was thrown: "Failed to upgrade SharePoint Products and Technologies."  The error I'm seeing in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\LOGS\Upgrade.log is:

[SPManager] [ERROR] [10/27/2012 3:24:26 PM]: ReflexiveUpgrade [SPServer Name=SBSSERVERNAME Parent=SPFarm Name=SharePoint_Config_29c26fca-17b8-48c1-9704-b869932abcb6] failed.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [10/27/2012 3:24:26 PM]: Access to the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\4721\App_GlobalResources\spadmin.en-US.resx' is denied.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [10/27/2012 3:24:26 PM]:    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
       at System.IO.FileInfo.CopyTo(String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPProvisioningAssistant.CopyFile(FileInfo fi, String newPath, Boolean overwrite)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPProvisioningAssistant.CopyDirectory(DirectoryInfo di, String newPath, Boolean recursive, OverwriteSetting over)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPServer.CopyDirectory(DirectoryInfo di, String newPath, Boolean recursive, OverwriteSetting over)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPAdministrationWebApplication.CopyAdminAppDomainDirectories(DirectoryInfo virtualDirectoryPath, OverwriteSetting overwrite)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.AppDomainUnification.Upgrade()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPActionSequence.Upgrade()
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [10/27/2012 3:24:26 PM]: Action 3.0.11.0 of Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPIisWebSiteWssSequence failed.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [10/27/2012 3:24:26 PM]:    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPActionSequence.Upgrade()

I've tried forcing the upgrade with: psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force and even provisioned the spwebservice before forcing the upgrade.  

The upgrade is still failing.  I know the user I'm logged in as when I run the upgrade has full access to the C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\4721\App_GlobalResources\spadmin.en-US.resx path.

I'm at a loss here, anyone seen something like this before? Thanks

Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:51 PM

Answers

• Ok, I was able to figure it out.  For some reason, all the files within the subfolders in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\NUMBER\ had been changed to 'Read-only.'  After making them writable and running psconfig again, Sharepoint was able to finish configuration.
    • Marked as answer by Randy Buckman Friday, November 2, 2012 4:15 PM
    Friday, November 2, 2012 4:15 PM

All replies

• Try running  your psconfig command from an elevated cmd prompt

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Sunday, October 28, 2012 4:20 AM
  • I tried that and still got the same error.
    Friday, November 2, 2012 2:41 PM
  • Ok, I was able to figure it out.  For some reason, all the files within the subfolders in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\NUMBER\ had been changed to 'Read-only.'  After making them writable and running psconfig again, Sharepoint was able to finish configuration.
    • Marked as answer by Randy Buckman Friday, November 2, 2012 4:15 PM
    Friday, November 2, 2012 4:15 PM