Configuring updates loop, advanced issues RRS feed

• Question

• I know this problem has been around for some time, but I have yet to find a case as bad as this.  The symptoms are the same old BS, auto restart loop while configuring updates (mine happens to cut off at 16%).  However on a few occasions it has made it past the updating area to my user log on screen, but after attempting to log on it shuts off and the cycle continues.  There is no system disc so I cannot boot from that.  There are 7 logged system restore points, unfortunately all of them fail due to a data error (cyclic redundancy check; 0x80070017).  Apparently this is a problem with symantec, and since I can't log on, I can't turn it off.  Replacing the C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution to C:\....old does nothing.  System auto repair does find an issue, but says it cannot be fixed automatically, and offers useless tips.  The warranty is up and the Geek Squad is baffled.

Here I am with a computer that cannot be restored to backup or factory default and the only idea I have left involves a hammer.  I'm hoping someone has a better solution

Yes I know there are multiple threads that have this question as "answered" do not hyperlink them, already been there.
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:28 PM

Answers

• Hello,

According to your problem description, I know that you have already done a lot of troubleshooting steps. Let us try the following instructions to see whether they do work well.

Run Windows Safe Mode 

1) Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2) Restart the computer.

3) Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4) Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

5) Test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still exists.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

If the issue does not occur in safe mode, we should test the issue in a Clean Boot.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable all.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

If the problem still persists, you need to get the full-file Windows Vista Setup disk with your hands and then continue.

Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

1) Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2) Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3) Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next

4) Click Repair your computer

5) In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next

6) At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7) (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next.

8) In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Good Luck!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:50 AM
    Friday, March 20, 2009 7:18 AM

All replies

• Hello,

According to your problem description, I know that you have already done a lot of troubleshooting steps. Let us try the following instructions to see whether they do work well.

Run Windows Safe Mode 

1) Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2) Restart the computer.

3) Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4) Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

5) Test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still exists.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

If the issue does not occur in safe mode, we should test the issue in a Clean Boot.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable all.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

If the problem still persists, you need to get the full-file Windows Vista Setup disk with your hands and then continue.

Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

1) Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2) Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3) Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next

4) Click Repair your computer

5) In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next

6) At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7) (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next.

8) In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Good Luck!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:50 AM
    Friday, March 20, 2009 7:18 AM
  • I got a hold of a vista disc from a friend, figured even without the activation code I could still get my files at the least.  After several minutes it came with the error "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically"
           Problem Signature
           Name: StartupRepairV2
           01: ExternalMedia
           02: 6.0.6000.16386.0.6000.16386
           03: 0
           04: 65537
           05: unknown
           06: NoRootCause
           07: 0
           08: 2
           09: WrpRepair
           10: 10
           OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
           Locale ID: 1033

Since I have the disc now I'm thinking of shutting down while it configures to intentionally corrupt the OS, and then repair from there.  I'd rather not take such a drastic step, so I'll wait a bit longer.
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 7:10 AM
  • I am getting the same error code but its during installation? My hard drive died so I installed a new one and when I try to install my full version of Vista Home Premium I get this code during the process and it aborts the install. (Error Code 0X80070017)

Can anyone shed some light on the problem??

Thanks!
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 2:01 PM