none
EML & MSG content attachment RRS feed

• Question

• I've ".eml & .msg" content as an attachment in my SharePoint list. When I clicking on ".msg" attachment, the popup is getting open with the option of "Open, Save, Cancel" where as if I  open ".eml" attachment, the popup is getting open with the option of "Save, Cancel".  Why the "Open" option is not coming when I open ".eml" attachment in SharePoint list? Can you please help me on this?

• Edited by orionkings Monday, November 25, 2019 2:36 PM typo
    Monday, November 25, 2019 2:35 PM

All replies

• Hi orionkings.

The problem could be to either the Browser File Handling setting or to the management of MIME types by the specific SharePoint web application for them to be considered trusted.
    If you don't want to set the Browser File Handling to permissive, then I recommend to add the MIME type for the .EML file to the trusted list for the web application using PowerShell: read the thread at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/39c53db4-d79b-4cd4-b9b5-6afe7e61d1a9/eml-files-in-a-document-library-any-way-to-make-easily-viewable-without-turning-on-passive-file?forum=sharepointgeneral.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Monday, November 25, 2019 4:46 PM
  • We have applied above said settings in IIS and ran PowerShell script, but nothing helps us to fix the issue. When I open the "EML" attachment from SharePoint list, the pop up is loading with the option of "Save" & "Cancel". Instead, the popup should load with the option of "Open" as well.

Note: The above said changes have been done in SharePoint 2013 on-premise site and nothing works as expected. Not sure the same settings and powershell script will work for SharePoint Online Site
    Tuesday, November 26, 2019 12:28 PM
  • Hi,

Please do as following:

1. Navigate to Central Administration > Manage Web Applications and select the web application, go to General Settings > Browser File Handling and then change it from "Strict" to "Permissive".

2. Open regedit.exe on your server and then navigate to “HKEY_Classes_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type”. Delete “message/rfc822” under this location.

3. Navigate to IIS manager > SharePoint Server > MIME Types and double click ".eml". Change “message/rfc822” into “application/octet-stream”.

4. Do an IISRESET afterwards.

Here’s the outcome.

In addition, we cannot modify SharePoint Online opening behavior.

Here’s your reference.

SharePoint: Getting EML Emails to Open in Outlook.

Please note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, November 28, 2019 9:47 AM
  • Hi,

I'm checking how it is going on with this issue.

Please remember to update this thread if you have any progress.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, December 2, 2019 2:01 AM
  • The EML to MSG Converter tool is a versy usefull app for migarting your whole data without making any changes at your data. The software support to transfer your data at Pocomail, Entourage, WLM and many other email clients. This application provide a error free data migrations. The advanced tool provide accurate results of your data transformation. Its filter your data before installing which protect your data from the duplicate files. You can export all of your selcetd files and save them at speciifed locations. 

Visit here:- https://www.osttopstapp.com/eml-to-msg.html

Monday, January 20, 2020 12:46 PM
  • If you want to go EML to MSG So You can use Convert EML to MSG on Mac, this is the perfect software of EML files into MSG. You can download Convert EML to MSG on Mac software on your Mac OS. It also works on all Mac Versions. The software supports bulk conversion of EML files format. Download this free software and give a chance to this tool for the solution to your problem. This software supports all Mac OS and MS Outlook versions.

For more info visit here:- https://www.mailvita.com/eml-to-msg-converter-for-mac/
    Friday, January 31, 2020 6:11 AM
  • For switching EML and moving to Outlook MSG, EML to MSG Converter software is one of the popular and safe solutions that allows migration of multiple EML files to MSG. This tool provides you rapid conversion facility without any third-party tool support. The tool is very easy to handle without any difficulty.  Get best EML to MSG Converter that will help you to migrate all size EML files in MSG format without any support of external tool. The tool works on various clients of EML such as Thunderbird, Entourage, Sea Monkey etc.

Read More Info,Visit Here:-  https://www.toolsbaer.com/eml-to-msg-conversion/

Saturday, February 15, 2020 7:08 AM