none
Replace displayed text on Internet Explorer? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi i've got a quick question. On firefox and chrome i've used a javascript that allowed me to replace the displayed text on websites with something more appropriate of my choosing. I'm trying to implement this for my parents that use IE more so for internet lingo and colloquial translations. However, user scripts and javascripts are different and trying to run the script in IE has failed. What is another way that I can achieve this same thing where I can replace specific words/text with something I choose? Perhaps an add-on or extension? Maybe just a simple translate add-on?

Thanks

• Edited by Rosie Crabb Wednesday, December 26, 2012 8:20 PM
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 8:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We can edit text in a webpage with F12 developer tools.

1. Press F12 to open developer tools.

2. Press Ctrl+B to select “Select Element by Click” tool.

3. Click the text you want to edit.

4. In the developer tools window, the element you selected before is now highlighted.  Click the plus button beside that entry if the text you want to edit is not visible.

5. Type the text you wish to change and press Enter.

Hope it helps.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 28, 2012 6:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

We can edit text in a webpage with F12 developer tools.

1. Press F12 to open developer tools.

2. Press Ctrl+B to select “Select Element by Click” tool.

3. Click the text you want to edit.

4. In the developer tools window, the element you selected before is now highlighted.  Click the plus button beside that entry if the text you want to edit is not visible.

5. Type the text you wish to change and press Enter.

Hope it helps.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 28, 2012 6:54 AM
  • What is another way that I can achieve this same thing where I can replace specific words/text with something I choose?

You need a local proxy server.   ProxOmitron  used to do this.   Fiddler2 still could be used for this or you could write your own based on FiddlerCore.
    Friday, December 28, 2012 5:08 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

install the google or Microsoft/bing website translator accelerator from ieaddons.com

Tools>Manage Addons>Get more addons.

Rob^_^

Saturday, December 29, 2012 1:22 AM