Strange variable in Profile Path that uses logon scripts written for XP SP2, moving to Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I'm picking up where the previous Client Systems Administrator left off.  Our previous deployments were handled by Ghost Solution Suite.  The last image happened at least 8 months ago and the systems are all XP SP2.  I have a volume license for Windows 7 Enterprise and there's 5 different system types that everyone needs to be able to log into.

I have built WDS and can produce an image just fine, however it will not obtain a profile.  I've looked at the users' PROFILE PATH and in it is a network share with a non-windows variable.  It's \\servername\profiles\%companynameprofile%

I've checked that share location and inside of it is a list of about 20 different folders with varying names.  Those folders appear to be profiles.  I am the only Client Systems Admin, the Security Admin was just hired as well and is now off for maternity or something.  Our Server Admin just quit, before he left he said that it was handled by a logon script that he knew nothing about.  The previous Client Admin was fired and (in order of most-likely) deleted his documentation, never wrote it, or I can't find it on the company wiki or any of his storage.

TL;DR How many different ways can a weird variable be used in the Profile Path string?  Where are logon scripts locally stored in XP SP2?  Can I just create the different profiles and store them locally like so:

%HOMEDRIVE%\.profiles\student

%HOMEDRIVE%\.profiles\staff

%HOMEDRIVE%\.profiles\instructor

PS: This is my first Admin job, I don't know what I'm doing, and this image needs to be deployed by Christmas.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 6:43 PM

Answers

• Well, at least I figured out the variable.  It's an environment variable that is set locally, on the machine.  So for example, you see \\server\share\%STUDIO%, on the machine, that variable is set statically.

That's all it really is. I doubt anyone will ever suffer this problem, but it's better to have the answer than to delete the thread I guess.

• Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, January 7, 2011 2:35 AM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 7:29 PM