How to deploy multiple OS's based on model type? RRS feed

• Question

• I've watched videos that show that to deploy multiple OS's you need to create multiple task sequences in the deployment share. Easy enough.

However I don't want any menu's or selection options when our technicians boot into WinPE. Previously we were only deploying windows 7 so we only had 1 main task sequence which I was specifically calling by name in the customsettings.ini

TaskSequenceID=001

This worked great. We skipped all menu's and everything inside WinPE so once you booted into WinPE it didn't ask you any questions it just started imaging.

Now that we are going to deploy Windows 8 I'd like to have the same arrangement, but need to know how to use a task sequence 001 if the model of the machine is ABC, but use task sequence 002 if the model is XYZ

Is this possible in the Initialization phase during a gather? Or would I need to do something in the customsettings.ini ??

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:00 PM

Answers

• Yes is possible.

to Priority in CS.ini add a string so it looks like this (just change to your brand of machines) 

[Settings]

Priority=Model, Default

[Latitude-600]

TaskSequenceID=Windows8

In case you are dealing with either Lenovo or HP i whould strongly advise you to use http://deploymentbunny.com/2012/05/01/modelalias-user-exit-for-microsoft-deployment-toolkit-20102012/

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by Jorgen Brandelius Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:40 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Wednesday, October 30, 2013 12:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by cyr0nk0r Wednesday, October 30, 2013 2:44 PM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:37 PM
  • @Rens, I thought about trying that, but with the differences between deploying 7 and 8 I wanted to have 2 completely different task sequences so I could get granular with how each OS was deployed.

I ended up going with a modified solution of Jorgens.

I create a VB script (SetTaskSequence.vbs) with the following:

' This script will return a TaskSequenceID based on model #

Function UserExit(sType, sWhen, sDetail, bSkip)
    	UserExit = Success
    End Function

Function SetTaskSequence(vModel)
    	oLogging.CreateEntry "UserExit - Determining Task - Sequence to run based on Model", LogTypeInfo
    	Select Case vModel
    		Case "36795MU"
    			SetTaskSequence = "DEPLOY8"
    			oLogging.CreateEntry "UserExit - Model = " & vModel & " - Selecting DEPLOY8", LogTypeInfo
    		Case Else
    			SetTaskSequence = "DEPLOY7"
    			oLogging.CreateEntry "UserExit - Model = " & vModel & " - Selecting DEPLOY7", LogTypeInfo
    	End Select
    End Function

Then in my customsettings.ini I added the following:

TaskSequenceID=#SetTaskSequence("%MODEL%")#
    UserExit=SetTaskSequence.vbs
    Reference : http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/cnackers/archive/2010/11/02/microsoft-deployment-toolkit-mdt-user-exit-scripts.aspx

• Edited by cyr0nk0r Wednesday, October 30, 2013 2:47 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 2:44 PM

All replies

• Yes is possible.

to Priority in CS.ini add a string so it looks like this (just change to your brand of machines) 

[Settings]

Priority=Model, Default

[Latitude-600]

TaskSequenceID=Windows8

In case you are dealing with either Lenovo or HP i whould strongly advise you to use http://deploymentbunny.com/2012/05/01/modelalias-user-exit-for-microsoft-deployment-toolkit-20102012/

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by Jorgen Brandelius Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:40 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Wednesday, October 30, 2013 12:31 AM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:37 PM
  • Another suggestion as to cyr0nk0r's solution is to have 1 task sequence, but two "Apply Operating System" steps, and put a WMI Query as condition on each step:

This step may run if:

"SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE MODEL LIKE "%Latitude D600%" then apply Image 1

This step may run if:

"SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE MODEL LIKE "%Latitude 6430u%" then apply Image 2

This way you can also use 2 different images but keep 1 task sequence (if that is desirable)

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:52 AM
  • @Rens, I thought about trying that, but with the differences between deploying 7 and 8 I wanted to have 2 completely different task sequences so I could get granular with how each OS was deployed.

I ended up going with a modified solution of Jorgens.

I create a VB script (SetTaskSequence.vbs) with the following:

' This script will return a TaskSequenceID based on model #

Function UserExit(sType, sWhen, sDetail, bSkip)
    	UserExit = Success
    End Function

Function SetTaskSequence(vModel)
    	oLogging.CreateEntry "UserExit - Determining Task - Sequence to run based on Model", LogTypeInfo
    	Select Case vModel
    		Case "36795MU"
    			SetTaskSequence = "DEPLOY8"
    			oLogging.CreateEntry "UserExit - Model = " & vModel & " - Selecting DEPLOY8", LogTypeInfo
    		Case Else
    			SetTaskSequence = "DEPLOY7"
    			oLogging.CreateEntry "UserExit - Model = " & vModel & " - Selecting DEPLOY7", LogTypeInfo
    	End Select
    End Function

Then in my customsettings.ini I added the following:

TaskSequenceID=#SetTaskSequence("%MODEL%")#
    UserExit=SetTaskSequence.vbs
    Reference : http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/cnackers/archive/2010/11/02/microsoft-deployment-toolkit-mdt-user-exit-scripts.aspx

• Edited by cyr0nk0r Wednesday, October 30, 2013 2:47 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 2:44 PM