none
Exchange 2007 SP1 - 142gb Mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• I have discovered that our Journal account has a mailbox of a 142gb. I need some recommendations on how to reduce the size of this mailbox to something more manageable. I have tried logging on through Outlook and it seems to freeze up the server and when it does work it takes forever to navigate through the mail. Any suggestions?

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:42 PM

Answers

• If you are storing journal information elsewhere then I would seriously pick a time window that you are comfortable with (e.g. 30 days) so that you know the data has been collected elsewhere.  Created a managed folder policy that permanently deletes all items over that period and assign it to the journal mailbox.
    • Proposed as answer by Sophia Xu Thursday, February 2, 2012 6:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sophia Xu Tuesday, February 7, 2012 1:16 AM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:51 PM

All replies

• Do you have a requirement to keep a journal of all emails, and if so for how long to you need to retain them?  I would configure a managed folder policy to remove items from the mailbox that are over the age you need to retain them for. 
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:03 PM
  • Steve,

We have talked about three years but we have Exchange 2007 Standard so we really can't get too granular from what I have been reading about the Enterprise version. This being said, we are also using a Barracuda box to copy all mail from the Journal account and then to top that we also have another software that copies that to a cloud drive for compliance reasons. So I don't really think we need to have this mailbox to large. What do you think Steve?

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:41 PM
  • If you are storing journal information elsewhere then I would seriously pick a time window that you are comfortable with (e.g. 30 days) so that you know the data has been collected elsewhere.  Created a managed folder policy that permanently deletes all items over that period and assign it to the journal mailbox.
    • Proposed as answer by Sophia Xu Thursday, February 2, 2012 6:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sophia Xu Tuesday, February 7, 2012 1:16 AM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:51 PM
  • I've never created a managed folder, but I will try it with a small mailbox and see how it works. Thanks Steve, I'll let you know how it works.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:14 PM
  • No worries.

This article describes a way to create managed folders but I think it's more complicated than the fairly simple one you need.  All the steps are there so just use the ones that match your situation: http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/compliance-policies-archiving/exchange-2007-messaging-records-management-part1.html

Cheers, Steve.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:18 PM