none
Limiting log numbers using TraceLogMaxNum RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to setup logging following the instructions in the article. The DPM Temp directory currently contains 244 items.

I created the following keys:

MSDPMTraceLogMaxNum 30
    DPMRATraceLogMaxNum 30

in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager

This made no difference to the number of logs in the directory so I also added

TraceLogPath C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\DPM\DPM\Temp

Made no difference. Added:

TraceLogLevel 608

TRACE_ERROR = 0x2,
       TRACE_DBG_FATAL = 0x200,
       TRACE_DBG_CRITICAL = 0x400

This hasn't made any difference either. What more are you supposed to do to limit the log numbers?

Monday, March 9, 2015 4:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I've had best success if you restart the services for the registry keys to take effect.  Make sure there are no active jobs and exit the console before restarting them.

c:\>net stop msdpm
    c:\>net start msdpm
    c:\>net stop dpmra
    c:\>net start dpmra

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 9, 2015 6:04 PM
  • Didn't try that as the article said you won't need to restart, just wait 15 minutes. Anyway I restarted the services you mentioned and... nothing. There's still the same number of log files, actually there's one more now. Have I misconfigured something, am I missing a setting somewhere?
    Tuesday, March 10, 2015 4:31 PM
  • Hi,

If you didn't delete the old files, you will not notice a change because DPM simply overwrites them as needed.  Stop the services, delete the *.errlog files and then see how things go.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 4:46 PM