Outlook 2010 shows quotations marks in the recipient mail address RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can anyone help?

We have an intermittent issues on our exchange 2010 environment, that the mail recipient mail address sometimes has quotation marks around their name.

Example im replying to an email received from and internal mail address and when i click reply in the To field the mail address appears as 'Joe Bloggs', rather than the correct format which would be Joe Bloggs.

Please note this only happens when replying or forwarding emails, any new email sent there are no issues.

I have read information regarding this on the web, however there is no solved solution.

I have tried emptying the Auto-Complete List

I have tried the below, but it doesn't work.

AutoCorrect dialog box, to do the following:
    Click the AutoFormat As You Type tab, and under Replace as you type, select or clear the "Straight quotes" with “smart quotes” check box.
    Click the AutoFormat tab, and under Replace, select or clear the "Straight quotes" with “smart quotes” check box.

Is there any fix for this?

• Edited by MrGoggles Thursday, July 27, 2017 3:16 PM
    Thursday, July 27, 2017 11:05 AM

All replies

• Hi MrGoggles,

>> Example im replying to an email received from and internal mail address and when i click reply in the To field the mail address appears as 'Joe Bloggs', rather than the correct format which would be Joe Bloggs.

Does this issue occur to particular email addresses?

Generally, the single quotes mean that the email address is not in your contacts folder or the sender's contacts folder. If you click the To button and select a contact from your contact folder, there won't be any single quotes. Moreover, if a message arrives with the address in quotes and you reply, outlook uses the quotes and never checks your contacts.

Hope the above information can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 28, 2017 4:43 AM
  • Hi Yuki,

The issue does not occur on any particular email addresses, its very random.  It can occur on any email address within our internal exchange environment.  

All the email addresses are within our Global Address list and therefore will be part of the contacts.  Any new email sent is fine, it just occurs when you get in a email chain replying and forwarding emails, so it doesn't make any sense.

the message is delivered if the name has quotations beside it, however my question is where are the quotations coming from and why?  How can I get rid of the quotations?

Kind regards 

Goggles

Friday, July 28, 2017 8:29 AM
  • I have the same problem occuring on merges to email from an Excel workbook. Tried the same "solutions"; autoformat and replace as yout type. Cleared the autocorrect. The single quotes do not appear in the mail merge. The email addresses in Excel were keyed by me, not imported. It is not possible to edit the single quotes out of the merged addresses. They simple land in the outbox in an edit mode and sit there. See image.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Sunday, December 17, 2017 10:14 PM