none
Guest receiving same IP as host RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a crazy time getting my Guest to use it's own IP address. It continues to use my Host IP. I already have two Guests running with their own IP. Maybe it's how I have my network configured. Suggestions?

I've attached some screenshots of my network-related setups.

Host: Win 10 Pro x64 1903
    Existing Guests: both are Win 10 x64

New Guest: hasso.io

Friday, September 6, 2019 1:58 PM

All replies

• Try creating / using a new external vSwitch. With windows 10 there is the default switch that acts similar to NAT / ICS

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by msdnScott Friday, September 6, 2019 3:25 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by msdnScott Sunday, September 15, 2019 10:47 PM
    Friday, September 6, 2019 2:02 PM
  • Try creating / using a new external vSwitch. With windows 10 there is the default switch that acts similar to NAT / ICS

How would I then setup the network? Wouldn't that then make the virtual switch the main connection to the Internet?
    Friday, September 6, 2019 2:16 PM
  • When you create a new external vSwitch the internet protocols are removed from the adapter and the Hyper-V Extensible Switch protocol is added turning that physical port into a multi-port virtual switch. Connect your VMs to this vSwitch and use each VM's vEthernet to configure the addressing in the exact same manner as if it were a physical NIC

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Unmarked as answer by msdnScott Friday, September 6, 2019 3:25 PM
    Friday, September 6, 2019 2:21 PM
  • When you create a new external vSwitch the internet protocols are removed from the adapter and the Hyper-V Extensible Switch protocol is added turning that physical port into a multi-port virtual switch. Connect your VMs to this vSwitch and use each VM's vEthernet to configure the addressing in the exact same manner as if it were a physical NIC

I'll give it a go and report back...thank you.
    Friday, September 6, 2019 2:25 PM
  • Sounds good, you're welcome.

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Friday, September 6, 2019 2:31 PM

This seems to have worked, at least all have their own IP address now, assuming my network setup is appropriate...thank you.

• Unmarked as answer by msdnScott Friday, September 6, 2019 3:25 PM
    Friday, September 6, 2019 3:24 PM
  • Glad to hear, you're welcome.

Friday, September 6, 2019 3:27 PM
  • Since this was created, I've experienced more than typical poor or disconnected Internet on my host. In further reading of MS Docs, bridging should not be used to connect virtual network to host network, which is what I had to do to make Internet connection.

The only option that seems to be working for me is using the old Internet Connection Sharing.

I am on a Wi-Fi adapter, so the hyper-v default switch will not work. If there's other ideas, I'm all ears.

Sunday, September 15, 2019 10:47 PM
  • Since this was created, I've experienced more than typical poor or disconnected Internet on my host. In further reading of MS Docs, bridging should not be used to connect virtual network to host network, which is what I had to do to make Internet connection.

The only option that seems to be working for me is using the old Internet Connection Sharing.

I am on a Wi-Fi adapter, so the hyper-v default switch will not work. If there's other ideas, I'm all ears.

More than likely the default switch is conflicting to what you're trying to do with an external vSwitch

https://mikefrobbins.com/2018/11/08/managing-the-hyper-v-default-switch-in-windows-10-version-1709-and-higher-with-powershell/

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Sunday, September 15, 2019 10:57 PM
  • Interesting. I followed the steps in the article and reset everything. We'll see how it goes.

Does the below network layout look correct?

Monday, September 16, 2019 3:53 PM
  • I'd disable the vEthernet (default switch) to avoid the multi-homing. Also note some limitations here.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/virtual_pc_guy/2015/02/02/hyper-v-and-wireless-networking/

Also looks like there may be remnants of ICS still lurking.

Monday, September 16, 2019 4:00 PM
  • I would also take your question to the Windows Client Hyper-V forum.  Though the hypervisor is the same, the networking implementation differs between the client and server implementations of Hyper-V.  You are posting your questions to the Hyper-V Server experts.  You should be asking the Hyper-V Client experts.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itprovirt

tim

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 1:39 PM
  • Thanks, @tim
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 7:11 PM