none
Login Prompt in Outlook 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• My users are receiving a logon prompt when trying to access Outlook 2007. They can put in their passwords and get email.

I beleive this has to do with Autodiscover service. I went into the Outlook Anywhere settings in the CAS and made sure the authentication is set to basic, when checking the permissions on the Autodiscover folder in IIS it is set to Basic Authentication. When I change this setting to Basic Authentication and Windows Authentication, Outlook 2007 clients no longer see the prompts. But this breaks my autodiscover from the outside. I am using Frontend UAG server 2010. The application is using Basic Authentication.

Not sure what else to check for this. Any help would be appreciated.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:01 PM

All replies

• If your clients are switching to Outlook Anywhere, that typically indicates a network issue of some sort.

By the way:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=22723

Publishing Outlook Anywhere Using NTLM Authentication With Forefront TMG or Forefront UAG

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:06 PM
  • Hi Bd142001,

Above gave some good suggestion, any update for your issue?

Regards!
    Gavin
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:50 AM
  • Btw, don�??t change those settings in IIS. When you change authentication methods always use PS of EMC.

Now for your issue, it�??s normal that you get a login prompt when using BASIC authentication. Now if you want to use both auth methods then use the document as Andy Stated and set your outlook anywhere auth methods for basic and NTML.

Set-OutlookAnywhere -Name Server01 -DefaultAuthenticationMethod <Basic,NTLM>

That will solve your issue.

Ivan

Ivan
    Monday, October 3, 2011 6:37 PM
  • Btw, don�??t change those settings in IIS. When you change authentication methods always use PS of EMC.

Now for your issue, it�??s normal that you get a login prompt when using BASIC authentication. Now if you want to use both auth methods then use the document as Andy Stated and set your outlook anywhere auth methods for basic and NTML.

Set-OutlookAnywhere -Name Server01 -DefaultAuthenticationMethod <Basic,NTLM>

That will solve your issue.

Ivan

Ivan

Note however that the client authentication is one or the other ( NTLM or Basic ) not both.
    Monday, October 3, 2011 6:50 PM
  • Andy,

Yeah that's correct but assuming here that he needs both authentication methods as he's using UAG 2010 and assuming  it's using authentication delegation. Most outlook anywhere deployment don't use authentication delegation but i can't see any other reason why it shoudl be prompting for a password. UAG will auth with NTML authentication but his application as stated is using basic. So if he doesn't do this it will keep prompting for password as the clientauthenticationmethod is used for autodiscover.

Maybe it's a bit confusing but i should said  IISAuthenticationMethod for basic, ntml as that is (i think) the right one in his case.

So bd14200, can you confirm you are using auth delegation on your uag box or not?

Ivan
    Monday, October 3, 2011 7:56 PM