none
Difference between using Tape or Disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I've used disk before on DPM2007 and DPM2010. What I was wondering is if I replace disk with a tape library, will DPM operate in a simliar manner creating express full and incremental backups? Also will the deduplication factor seen using DPM with disk be the same if I use Tape?

I'm asking this question because if I don't have enough disk to dedicate to the storage pool, I'll use tapes until I can get enough disk. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks!

Sunday, August 15, 2010 3:45 AM

Answers

• Hi John,

Generally speaking DPM always does full backups to tape with the exception of volume and share protection.  This link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399236.aspx says we can do incrementals for applications that support them, but database files are always going to be full backups, we won't do "block level change" backups if that is what you were hoping for.

Possible workaround for you is to only keep 2 days short term protection on disk to reduce disk storage requirements, then do long term to tape backups to meet the total retention goals until you can add more disks for short term backup on disk.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 1:54 PM