none
GPMC looks for old domain name after rename

Question

• Greetings!

I've renamed my domain after reading white papers on the subject. The process went well except when I try to open the Group Policy Management Console it says the domain doesn't exist. It offers to let me select a different domain controller but it's looking in the old domain. I can't change anything in the dialog to point it to the new domain name. I've tried from my Win 7 work station and from the domain controller with the PDC role. I moved that role to a different DC and get the same results. The domain is at Server 2008 functionality level but all DCs are Server 2012R2. I did run gpfixup for both the DNS name and NB name. The only errors it produces relate to old software group policies that no longer are used and the file path has been removed. I need to get this fixed. I'd even be willing to start fresh with just default polices but blowing up the domain and starting over isn't an option. Thanks for any suggestions offered.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 3:29 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your reply, Frank. Yes, all the steps were followed. The gpfixup was reporting errors and stating they were not fatal, but they were because the gp fix never completed. Evidently it renames sysvol and that never happened.

It turns out the policies that gpfixup was dying on were long-abandoned policies that used DFS shares. I used ASDI Edit to find them and delete them. Then I was able to run gpfixup, which now completed successfully. Once that was done the GPMC would properly run and access the group policies.

The actual domain rename went quite well and most users didn't notice this problem other than the workstations reverting to installing updates themselves instead of contacting my WSUS server.

Mark Warbeck

Friday, March 13, 2015 11:51 AM

All replies

• Just a bit more information: if I open the management console and add the new domain name as the forest, that's OK, and then when I expand domains I see the new domain name. It's when I try to expand that domain that I get the "domain doesn't exist or could not be contacted error.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2015 3:31 PM
  • Hi,

Renaming domain is a complex process and usually it is not recommended to do so. Here, before we use gpfixup to repair GPOs, were the conditions described under Before you repair GPOs, ensure that the following conditions are satisfied: in the following article met?

Fix Group Policy Objects and Links

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816765(v=ws.10).aspx

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 13, 2015 3:06 AM
  • Thanks for your reply, Frank. Yes, all the steps were followed. The gpfixup was reporting errors and stating they were not fatal, but they were because the gp fix never completed. Evidently it renames sysvol and that never happened.

It turns out the policies that gpfixup was dying on were long-abandoned policies that used DFS shares. I used ASDI Edit to find them and delete them. Then I was able to run gpfixup, which now completed successfully. Once that was done the GPMC would properly run and access the group policies.

The actual domain rename went quite well and most users didn't notice this problem other than the workstations reverting to installing updates themselves instead of contacting my WSUS server.

Mark Warbeck

Friday, March 13, 2015 11:51 AM