Windows 7 64bit Random Freeze RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am running a dual boot machine of Windows XP Pro and Windows 7 Pro. Recently from within the last few months my Windows 7 OS will randomly freeze on me. Originally it would randomly restart on me. That was until I changed the settings in "Start up and Recovery" to not automatically restart and to write a small memory dump to the system root. Since I have changed those settings thinking I would get either a stop error or a memory dump file nothing exists for memory dump files when I search for them in the system root directory.

The freeze entails that the mouse cursor freezes in place without being able to move it and the keyboard is unresponsive. Pressing the Caps Lock key or Num lock will not turn off/on the indicator light. I have to manually restart the machine with the reset/power button.

I know that this particular problem can be dozens of possibilities however, I am not experiencing the same behavior when I run on the XP Operating System. So wouldn't this rule out a hardware failure?

Things I have tried so far are: Running the MS Memory diagnostic tool in extended mode. Checked system logs which does indicate the event 41 and in addition Session "Microsoft Security Essentials OOBE" stopped due to the following error: 0xC000000D. Would this be causing the OS to freeze? These are the only event logs posted just before it would freeze or reboot.

I don't believe this to be attributed to CPU overheating as I have monitored it using Speedfan and it is within the specified ranges of temperature. I did find that someone posted on another forum regarding the memory configuration and DRAM Configuration settings in BIOS may cause system instability for Windows 7. Particularly when set to AUTO which mine currently is. The AUTO setting may not set the optimal settings for Windows 7. You can view that post at the link I'm providing below.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7repair/thread/85cad5d1-dace-415d-9b06-5c609209e232/#267bea65-fd93-4cb6-9252-37057bf90c87

I do not know what my settings should be for DRAM Configuration if I were to set it to manual rather than AUTO for my listed memory.

My computers specifications:

MSI K8Neo4 Platinum (MS-7125) v1.0

NVIDA Geforce 8400GS

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+

Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/1G X2

Bios Version 6.00PG 5/22/2006 (Latest)

• Edited by JTtechnology Sunday, October 3, 2010 6:43 PM Added additional information
    Sunday, October 3, 2010 6:30 PM

Answers

• Hi, thank you for posting here.

The error message “Microsoft Security Essentials OOBE" stopped due to the following error: 0xC000000D”, you can try to find C:\program data\microsoft\microsoft security essentials\support\, then locate the file: "MSSEOOBE.etl" and simply delete it. You can refer:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/msestart/thread/387c21ed-75db-47e3-9baf-687f6c66f0eb

For your Windows 7 random freeze, I suggest you removing all unnecessary hardware device from the computer, try entering Windows safe mode (click F8 while booting the computer) to test whether it is a third-party software/hardware compatibility issue or the system issue itself.

If the problem does not occur in safe mode, please download and run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to check the reason for the issue.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, October 11, 2010 12:48 AM
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 6:05 AM

All replies

• Hi, thank you for posting here.

The error message “Microsoft Security Essentials OOBE" stopped due to the following error: 0xC000000D”, you can try to find C:\program data\microsoft\microsoft security essentials\support\, then locate the file: "MSSEOOBE.etl" and simply delete it. You can refer:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/msestart/thread/387c21ed-75db-47e3-9baf-687f6c66f0eb

For your Windows 7 random freeze, I suggest you removing all unnecessary hardware device from the computer, try entering Windows safe mode (click F8 while booting the computer) to test whether it is a third-party software/hardware compatibility issue or the system issue itself.

If the problem does not occur in safe mode, please download and run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to check the reason for the issue.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, October 11, 2010 12:48 AM
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 6:05 AM
  • I was having this same experience on my new Alienware M17X. R2 I noticed that using System Restore in Safe Mode after an automatic update to Microsoft Security Essentials would always cure my issue with the hard freeze like the one you describe. I turned off Automatic Updates and Microsft Security Essentials would update itself anyway.

I tried removing all startup items in MSCONFIG, removed video drivers, sound drivers, core apps like Alienware OSD, Intel Rapid Store Technology, reinstalled Windows 7, repeated all the above, to no avail. I ran sfc, chkdsk, Dell PBA tests, also to no avail. I pulled and reseated memory and hard drives... nada, zilch.

I discovered this thread several weeks ago and tried what leo HuangLijun suggested looking for a solution to the same error message identified. Doing what he described was not helpful. It did not cure that error message or my hard freeze issue. Windows 7 is the native OS on this machine.

One observation through all this malarky was after rolling back to the pre-update restore point, my machine would work totally fine until the next time Microsoft Security Essentials finished an update through Windows Updates. The hard freeze problem would return every time the next time my machine was started, and the freeze would always occur immediately after login while the system tray icons were still populating the task bar. Sometimes after a period of time of computer use after the update (if I did not shut down after the update) the same hard freeze would occur. Unlike many posts on forums I have searched for solutions, my machine would never become responsive by waiting for the problem to fix itself. I waited over an hour more than once.

After many hours of frustration, and many weeks of troubleshooting, I could identify no other possibilities for this problem except for Microsoft Security Essentials. I removed Microsoft Security Essentials and installed Avira (free version) and my issue has gone away.

I have 7 computers in my household (2 desktops, 5 laptops) and run Microsoft Security Essentials and do not have this problem on the other 6 machines. This is sort of a bummer, since I like Microsoft Security Essentials. But, as much as I like it, I prefer to have a stable machine and a problem-free computing experience.

I hope this helps someone else fix this problem on their machine.

• Proposed as answer by Geek Freak Sunday, November 21, 2010 4:20 PM
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 4:14 PM
  • Many thanks to Geek Freak - after many weeks of desperate workaround to find out the reason of the random freeze, trying everything described above, i beleve, that MS Security Essentials causes it on my Vaio NB. I have the MS SEssentials on another machine ( 32Bit Win 7) and no problem.

Thanks guys and keep posting - i am sure we are not the only ones with this cause.

Sunday, December 12, 2010 3:45 PM
  • My wife's hp Pavillion dv6000 laptop developed an odd problem that seemed like a hardware failure. The display stopped working... just a black screen from the moment of booting up. Not even the BIOS flash screen worked. I connected an external display and both began working immediately.

After replicating this scenario a couple of times, I decided that the LCD inverter board had probably died.

While I had the system functioning, I removed Microsoft Security Essentials and installed Avira as suggested, even though I did not think this had anything to do with my black screen problem. Well, lo and behold, this fixed that problem. Now the laptop is working normally.

I did not think MSE would have any effect on hardware from the moment the power button is pressed. Maybe this is just an add coincidence. Anyone have any thoughts about it?

I tend to think it's just a coincidence, but maybe someone with an intimate knowledge of MSE can shed some light on whether it affects the most base level of hardware function.

Sunday, December 12, 2010 5:52 PM
  • Andreas,

I am very happy to hear this worked for you also. I am also very pleased to report that I have not experienced a single incident of Windows 7 freezing since I removed Microsoft Security Essentials.

Alienware M17X R2 | Intel i7 Q720 | ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB x2 in Crossfire | 4GB DDR3 | 640GB Raid 0 | 1920x1200 Display | Blu-Ray Burner | Win7 Ultimate x64
    Monday, December 13, 2010 3:02 AM
  • EDIT: I was completely wrong before! My problems were a result of a bad network adapter. See this post for further details:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/networking-wireless/617184-solved-computer-freezes-hangs-wireless-card.html

Hey Geek Freek,

Just wanted to say thanks for solving my problem too!

I have an Asus G-series laptop which would randomly freeze after anywhere from 2-36 hours of just being on. It would happen in-game, just browsing the web, or even when staying on during the night. Total lockup, couldn't move the mouse, and no response from any keys, HDD light wouldn't respond, only thing that I could do was a hard power cycle (5 secs on the power button). I consider myself to know at least a little about computers but I'd never seen anything like this. It drove me absolutely nuts and I was ready to reinstall Windows this weekend.

I had also noticed something similar to what you mentioned about the system restore--a week or two ago I restored to a few days prior and the problem went away for like a week, then returned. What you said about updating via Windows Update makes sense, since I probably installed updates around then and brought the problem back.

So anyways, after questioning every piece of my hardware and operating system choice, I am in the same boat as you: I really liked MSE but a stable system is priceless. I'm contemplating running back to Avira or using the Symantec protection my school gives out.

Thanks again for being more helpful than Microsoft's forum support team (MS engineers and support, take note on this one!)!

• Edited by JoeTheYes Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:32 PM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 2:01 PM
  • I just got a new hd installed, OS Windows 7 64-bit Home Edition, installed Avast AV (Free), ran update and scanned the computer, no issues. Installed Microsoft Security Essentials, reboot, lockup, mouse works but blue circle and nothing, Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work. So I know these two AV's are fighting each other.

FIX: Reboot in Safe Mode, ran MSCONFIG, unchecked the "avast! Antivirus" service (disabled), reboot and PC working as expected. Uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials... Reboot, ran a Repair (Change) on Avast AV... All Good!

Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:27 PM
  • I am thinking this relates to several anti-virus programs.  I have Norton products on both my laptop and desktop and they are both freezing.  I don't think it is specific to MSE.

Mark Carroll

Update....If you install the Constant Guard Security Suite offered by Comcast AND you install the Xfinity toolbar offered in that suite of products as well as Norton Security Suite you will get freezing/system hangs because the Xfinity toolbar installs Comcast Antispyware too and it conflicts with Norton Security Suite causing the freezes. Just a heads up!

• Edited by Mark_Carroll Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:24 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:51 PM
  • Hello,

i have the same problem. My pc randomly freezes as well, but i do not use microsoft security essentials. This problem occured since the windows 7 beta. In overal the system performs perfectly (outside one strange "copy" bug).

I think it isn't really related to "anti-virus" software. Since i've used different programs and it happened with all. I think it has to do with the nVidia software. I have an Nvidia Nforce 680i LT SLi motherboard and use 2 GeForce 9800 GT cards. I recognize the original poster uses nVidia cards as well.

I suspect it is a driver issue.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Hi Donenzonen... Sorry to hear you've got a freezing problem. There are countless reasons that random freezing might occur. For me and a number of other folks, MSE was causing it. Your random freeze is being caused by something else... obviously so, since you do not have MSE installed. I hope you can get it figured out without too much effort. Probably something simple, but it's the simple stuff that is often a major pain to isolate.

I'd start by checking your Windows Event viewer for signs of a problem. You may find an error message, informational message or a warning message with a timestamp that corresponds with the time a freeze takes place. That might provide you with some clues on what is causing a freeze.

Run MSCONFIG and uncheck everything on the startup tab. Reboot and see if your freezing stopped. If your system no longer freezes, run MSCONFIG again and begin the process of re-enabling startup programs one or two at a time until the offending program is found. (You'll know it is found because re-enabling it will cause the freezing to return.) Once isolated, either leave it unchecked on the startup tab in MSCONFIG or uninstall it.

Since you are suspicious of the video driver, uninstall it and reboot. Then, be sure your system is showing "Standard VGA Adapter" for the name of your video card in Device Manager. If the freezing still continues, it's not your video driver. If the freezing is fixed, find a different (hopefully  newer) video driver.

• Edited by foxrox Wednesday, December 7, 2011 10:31 PM
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 10:19 PM
  • Removing Microsoft Security Essentials fixed my random lockups in Windows 7. Thank you for your post.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 8:31 AM
  • On my system (Windows 7 Pro 64) it is actually in "C:\program data\microsoft\microsoft security client\support\".

But I got there anyway, thanks again!

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:17 AM