none
VMWare IP 'Get VM List' Error 'object reference not set to an instance of an object'

Question

• Hi,

I installed SCO 2012 (7.0.1154.0) and deployed the IP for VMWare vSphere.

When I try to use the 'Get VM List' item I get an error:

"

Exception: IntegrationPackExeption

Target site: ServiceBase.Design

Stack trace: at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestrator.VIQIK.ServiceBase.Design(IActivityDesigner designer)

"

This happens when I had selected the vSphere connection using the '...' button.

Other objects such as "Get Hosts" works fine.

Anyone have any ideas on the cause of this?

Thanks,

David

Monday, October 1, 2012 11:58 AM

Answers

• Following up with my previous reply: The customer I mentioned before, created a blank vApp container within another vCenter Server and was able to reproduce this error. The issue went away when the container was deleted from the vCenter Server inventory. This appears to be an issue with System Center Orchestrator handling the presence of vApp containers in the hierarchy. Does anyone have any further insight into this?
    • Marked as answer by David Weißner Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:35 PM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:32 PM

All replies

• Hello,

which IP you are using for  VMWare vSphere? Version 7.0 from Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27846)? Are you using VMware vSphere 4.1 or 5.0?

Regards,

Stefan

German Orchestrator Portal , My blog in English

Monday, October 1, 2012 1:42 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Yes this one 7.0 from Microsoft and vSphere 5.0.

Ragards.

David

Monday, October 1, 2012 2:16 PM
  • Hi,

I just checked at a customer site which have the same versions. There it is working ... I know no help ...

In Connection Settings can you specify the VSphere Server with its IP-Address, if not done already. The user which is specified in the Connections Settings have rights to see the VMs?

Regards,

Stefan

German Orchestrator Portal , My blog in English

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 7:39 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

the other objects are working. And the user have administrative rights. 

thanks,

David

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 7:43 AM
  • unfortunately no solution :(
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:18 AM
  • Hi David,

I am currently working with a customer who is experiencing this error after having installed vCenter Operations Manager in the target vCenter Server. I ran across your thread while investigating the issue. I am curious to know if you have vC Ops or any other vApp containers in use in your vSphere environment. I ask because the vC Ops vApp contains some parameters that are unique to that vApp and I suspect that they might be throwing Orchestrator for a loop, or if just any vApp container can cause this problem.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:06 PM
  • Following up with my previous reply: The customer I mentioned before, created a blank vApp container within another vCenter Server and was able to reproduce this error. The issue went away when the container was deleted from the vCenter Server inventory. This appears to be an issue with System Center Orchestrator handling the presence of vApp containers in the hierarchy. Does anyone have any further insight into this?
    • Marked as answer by David Weißner Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:35 PM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:32 PM
  • Hi,

You’re right I had a vApp container. I deleted the vApp container and then it works.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:34 PM
  • Hi,

I am having the same problem. Only thing is that I cannot delete the vApp container because it is being used. Hmm, then what? Any ideas?

Regards,

Michael

Michael Møller

Thursday, January 10, 2013 11:29 AM
  • Hi All,

I've just run into this "bug" on a customers site, but it's also affecting the "Get Datastore Capacity" activity along with the "Get VM List" activity.

I've confirmed the customer has a vApp container and no, they can't delete it as it's in use.

Has anyone found a workaround or fix for this yet?

Has anyone logged this with MSFT support?  If so could you share the Ref # so I can log a call and link/escalate it?

If not I'll log one soon and let you know how we get on with it.

Regards,
    Steve

My System Center Blog

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 2:49 PM
  • Hi,

I have not logged the issue with MS Support. As a workaround I am using a powershell script (vmware vsphere powercli). So instead of using the 'Get VM List' activity, I am using the cmdlet get-vm.

Regards,

Michael

Michael Møller

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:43 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Yeah, I'm already working around it with PowerShell scripts using the PowerCLI, however when trying to show the customer the power of SCORCH and it's Integration Packs that avoid scripting, this doesn't look good.

Regards,
    Steve

My System Center Blog

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:47 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Did you ever get around to logging that ticket? We're experiencing  the same problem (we also have a vApp container in our tree) and we'd rather avoid using Powershell  to work around this issue.  Basically I'm in the same boat as you; trying to show the power of SCORCH in the automation process. So having to stitch on a bit of Powershell sort of defeats the purpose! :-)

Regards,
    Yannick

Monday, June 10, 2013 12:14 PM
  • It seems the problem is fixed for us by installing the R2 upgrade on the management and runbook servers.

Regards,

Yannick

• Proposed as answer by YannickJ Monday, December 16, 2013 2:50 PM
    Monday, December 16, 2013 2:50 PM
  • We are at the R2 level and still experiencing this problem.  Anyone got any other solutions?

Chad

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:16 PM
  • Wow.  Two years later and this bug still exists. Is this integration pack no longer supported?

Friday, April 11, 2014 3:51 PM
  • I've got the same problem.  Unfortunately, the Orchestrator IP packs appear don't appear to be supported well by Microsoft.

Seth Baker

• Proposed as answer by randomguyhere Tuesday, November 25, 2014 3:10 PM
    Friday, April 18, 2014 6:10 PM
  • I've got the same problem.  Unfortunately, the Orchestrator IP packs appear don't appear to be supported well by Microsoft.

Seth Baker

They probably aren't updating it due to the fact SMA is taking over.
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 3:45 PM
  • Its 2015 and this bug still exists. In fact, there are a lot of bugs in this IP which is making it pretty ineffective. MS really needs to fix/update this thing. I'll probably end up just using vCO instead.

- Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Thursday, January 29, 2015 4:11 PM
  • Hi,

Yes this one 7.0 from Microsoft and vSphere 5.0.

Ragards.

David

Try upgrading to System Center 2012 R2 Integration Pack for VMware vSphere version 7.2.105.0

Hope it helps. :)

Remember to Vote as helpful for others and accept the the proposed Answer if it is relevant to build KB in this Forum. [MCITP] | [MCITP:EA] | [MCITP:VA] | [MCITP:EMA] | [MCITP:SPA] | [MCSE] | [MCSE:M+] | [MCSA] | [MCSA:M+] | [ITILv3] | [CCNA] | [IPSWITCH:WhatsUpGold]

Thursday, August 25, 2016 11:50 PM