VAMT 2.0 MAK activation of virtualized Office 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Environment: Office 2010 Standard, App-V 4.6 SP1 for RDS, WS2008 R2 RDS Session Host, MAK, VAMT 2.0 method.

O2010 does not show up in VAMT 2.0

I've followed the "Prescriptive Guidance for Sequencing Office 2010 in App-V 4.6 SP1" article to deploy Office 2010 Standard. (AKA http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2627274)

My sequencing offvirt.msi command was:

msiexec /i OffVirt.msi ADDLOCAL=Click2runMapi,Click2runOWSSupp,Click2runWDS,OSpp,OSpp_Core

Specifically, no licensing flags, in order to activate with VAMT 2.0 and MAK key.

I did run into one problem. Where I am supposed to set the Virtual Registry to "Merge with local key" for this key: HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\14.0, the command is dimmed on the 14.0 node. When I select the Office node, the command is available. So that is where I applied the command.

On the RDSH, ran this command:

msiexec /i offvirt.msi

That would be the same licensing switches (i.e., none) as was used during sequencing.

Opened VAMT 2.0 and updated the machine's entry. No errors, and VAMT still finds WS2008 R2, but no sign of Office.

I tried msiexec /i offvirt.msi STANDARD=1 USEROPERATION=1 and it then appeared in VAMT 2.0 as a KMS. Not what I want, of course, but it showed that VAMT CAN find Office.

Did msiexec /x offvirt.msi to remove offvirt & rebooted, followed by msiexec /i offvirt.msi and Office disappeared from VAMT again.

Is my client-side offvirt.msi command line wrong?

• Edited by JRV529088 Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:18 AM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:16 AM

Answers

• I've install the Deployment Kit with this command: MSIEXEC /I OffVirt.msi PROPLUS=1 PROJECTPRO=1 VISIOPRO=1

Rescanning the machine with VAMT, then returns the following for that computer:

• Office 14, OfficeProPlus-KMS_Client edition
    • Office 14, OfficeProjectPro-KMS_Client edition
    • Office 14, OfficeVisioPro-KMS_Client edition

I can then right-click each entry and choose Install Product Key (after I've added the Office MAK keys to VAMT). That should allow you to then activate the machine.

If you are remotely activating Office via VAMT, but installing OffVirt.msi for KMS (i.e. without PIDKEYS), then you won't need USEROPERATIONS=1 on the command line. Leave USEROPERATIONS=1 on the command line if you want the user to un through the activation process, after you've installed the product key.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:35 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Shouldn't it be USEROPERATIONS=1?
    /Znack
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:50 AM
  • I've install the Deployment Kit with this command: MSIEXEC /I OffVirt.msi PROPLUS=1 PROJECTPRO=1 VISIOPRO=1

Rescanning the machine with VAMT, then returns the following for that computer:

• Office 14, OfficeProPlus-KMS_Client edition
    • Office 14, OfficeProjectPro-KMS_Client edition
    • Office 14, OfficeVisioPro-KMS_Client edition

I can then right-click each entry and choose Install Product Key (after I've added the Office MAK keys to VAMT). That should allow you to then activate the machine.

If you are remotely activating Office via VAMT, but installing OffVirt.msi for KMS (i.e. without PIDKEYS), then you won't need USEROPERATIONS=1 on the command line. Leave USEROPERATIONS=1 on the command line if you want the user to un through the activation process, after you've installed the product key.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:35 AM
  • Cool, that worked. Thanks Aaron!
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:32 PM