Windows 8/Office 2007 Memory Leak RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new computer with Windows 8 and have downloaded Office 2007 from my original disc.  From the moment I open a Word document I have problems that seem to be memory related.  First, the pointer never looks like an arrow but is in continual spinning mode.  Next, within a very short time working in a Word document, things go very slowly - as slow as 3 seconds to move the cursor one character in any direction.  Finally, not long after that I get a message saying I have run out of memory.   Can you help?
    Monday, April 1, 2013 6:43 PM

All replies

• Desmond

Can we get your system specs and your event viewer logs?

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file here (if you can) to skydrive or a file sharing service

Wanikiya & Dyami -Team-ZigZag. www.ZigZag3143.com email Admin@zigzag3143.com

Monday, April 1, 2013 7:44 PM
  • Look in taskmager/process explorer if Word uses a large amount of RAM. if not ask in the office forum for tips to speedup Word:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/officeitpro

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 4:53 AM
    Answerer
  • Thank you so much for your response.  I followed your well-laid-out instructions and will now try to unload the .zip file here.

Nope :-(  I don't know how to get the zip file to you.  (For what it's worth, I see that the event viewer show 2,606 errors and warnings.)

Please let me know how I get the .zip file to you.

As for computer specs: Dell Inspiron 660s-3848BK Desktop

Intel premium G645 processor (2.9 GHz), 4GB DDR3, 500GB hard drive (7,200 rpm), Windows 8

As previously noted, the version of Office I am running is 2007 ("Office Home and Student")

Desmond

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:34 PM
  • have you looked in taskmager/process explorer if Word uses a large amount of RAM?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:56 AM
    Answerer
  • Did you update Office 2007?

If not, download Office 2007 SP3 here, then run Windows Update until no more important updates are left.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 1:27 PM
  • Many thanks to each of you for your willingness to help address a frustrating problem.  I am embarrassed to confess that the solution seemed to be quite simple - downloading Office 2007 SP3, as Entegy recommended.  For now, at least, Word seems to be up and running in fine form. 
    • Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:32 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by desmondwhitney Monday, April 15, 2013 8:32 PM
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:42 PM
  • DW

Thanks for sharing the solution.

Wanikiya & Dyami -Team-ZigZag. www.ZigZag3143.com email Admin@zigzag3143.com

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:32 PM
  • Help needed (again). 

It appears that downloading Office 2007 SP3 was just a temporary solution.  When I eventually sent a Word document to the printer, the problem returned - a perpetually spinning circle rather than an arrow for the mouse avatar and an excruciatingly slow cursor (at least 3 seconds for the cursor to move just one space left or right).

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.  Desmond

Monday, April 8, 2013 4:18 PM