none
pc model only based OS installation wds/ mdt RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

Searched on the net but still confused about WDS/MDT and TS. Well, we have in our organization many hardware pc-types and many manufactures. I want WDS/ MDT to start the installation of the Windows 7 x64 OS ONLY on Toshiba and HP models pc's and STOPs (Quits)  the installation directly if the pc-model is different (= Dell or Fujitsu or Samsung or Acer for example) .
    I want this condition to be on the start of the installation so that nothing changes on the "wrong models" (= The Dell or Fujitsu or Samsung or Acer).  

My question is how and where, in which TS, can I accomplish this goal?
    I have a WMI vbs file that checks the model type. But I do not know how and where to use it.

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:49 PM

Answers

• Hello everybody,

Searched on the net but still confused about WDS/MDT and TS. Well, we have in our organization many hardware pc-types and many manufactures. I want WDS/ MDT to start the installation of the Windows 7 x64 OS ONLY on Toshiba and HP models pc's and STOPs (Quits)  the installation directly if the pc-model is different (= Dell or Fujitsu or Samsung or Acer for example) .
    I want this condition to be on the start of the installation so that nothing changes on the "wrong models" (= The Dell or Fujitsu or Samsung or Acer).  

I have a WMI vbs file that checks the model type. But I do not know how and where to use it.

Thanks in advance!

http://deploymentbunny.com/2011/06/04/nice-to-know-blocking-os-install-on-unsupported-models-in-microsoft-deployment-toolkit-mdt/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by w7builder Monday, February 17, 2014 7:06 AM
    Friday, February 14, 2014 12:09 AM

All replies

• Hello everybody,

Thanks in advance!

http://deploymentbunny.com/2011/06/04/nice-to-know-blocking-os-install-on-unsupported-models-in-microsoft-deployment-toolkit-mdt/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by w7builder Monday, February 17, 2014 7:06 AM
    Friday, February 14, 2014 12:09 AM
  • Thanks for your reply and help!

It's not working !??? We use MDT 2012. What am I doing wrong?

Friday, February 14, 2014 2:17 PM
  • Thanks for your reply and help!

It's not working !??? We use MDT 2012. What am I doing wrong?

It works fine on MDT 2012, as I am currently using it, and have many times with MDT 2010 and 2012 and even SCCM with some changes

you question above do not ptovide any kind of info as to what is or isn't happening. Have you reviewed the BDD.log?

Also how are you getting the true make and model of the assets? Your using the value returned by the BIOS correct?

Friday, February 14, 2014 4:49 PM
  • Hi, That is what I done:

I started the MDT Workbench -> went to property of the deploy-image -> went to tab Task Sequence -< choose Add new group -> named the new group -> Options -> Add -> Task sequence variable -> entered pc model which is Toshiba -> choose not equals -> entered pc-model -> ok. (then repeated those steps for another pc model HP Pro x). Then a add the blocker via Add -> Task sequence variable -> OSInstall -> equals -> N

After that I tested the wds-installation on the other “blocked” pc-models (Acer and Dell, …) but the installation starts and finished normally !?

I retrieved the pc models via an WMI/vbscript. Which is working fine for other purposes.

I'm sure I done something wrong or I'm forgetting a step somewhere but what?
    Thanks for your patience!

Saturday, February 15, 2014 8:03 AM
  • Well, I think I will try to edit the boot.wim boot image file ( startnet cmd) or any other file in the the boot wim image to check hardware/ pc-model very early in the boot process.
    I have done this many years ago with RIS pxe boot. Will be continued ... Thanks all!

Saturday, February 15, 2014 10:59 AM
  • Hi, That is what I done:

I started the MDT Workbench -> went to property of the deploy-image -> went to tab Task Sequence -< choose Add new group -> named the new group -> Options -> Add -> Task sequence variable -> entered pc model which is Toshiba -> choose not equals -> entered pc-model -> ok. (then repeated those steps for another pc model HP Pro x). Then a add the blocker via Add -> Task sequence variable -> OSInstall -> equals -> N

After that I tested the wds-installation on the other “blocked” pc-models (Acer and Dell, …) but the installation starts and finished normally !?

I retrieved the pc models via an WMI/vbscript. Which is working fine for other purposes.

I'm sure I done something wrong or I'm forgetting a step somewhere but what?
    Thanks for your patience!

I just set it up per the link on a new VM MDT 2012 install and it worked perfect. Took me less than 10 mins.

you must be missing something.  Please define "wds-installation"?

Saturday, February 15, 2014 6:54 PM
  • ;-)

When you perform a PXE boot on a computer and select a discover image, the Windows Deployment Services client performs the following actions:

• The client downloads the boot image from the server and the image boots. At boot time, Setup.exe is invoked and it parses any command-line options that were passed to it. Setup sees that it is in Windows Deployment Services discovery mode and connects to the specified server to download the install image.
      • Setup.exe (Autorun) is launched automatically by Windows PE (through the commands specified in WinPEshl.ini).
      • Setup.exe (Autorun) parses the command lines passed to it (at a minimum, setup.exe /WDS /WDSDiscover, and optionally, setup.exe /WDS /WDSDiscover /WDSServer:MyWDSServer). Setup realizes that it should be in Windows Deployment Services mode. Autorun continues to run in the background (never showing UI) and invokes regular Setup.exe with the command-line arguments as they are passed in.
      • Setup.exe detects that it is in Windows Deployment Services discovery mode. One of the following occurs:

• If a server name was specified using the /WDSServer option, the Windows Deployment Services client contacts that server directly. (Skip to step 7.)
      • If /WDSServer was not specified, the client will initiate a PXE request by broadcasting a Dynamic Host Control Protocol (DHCP) discover packet with the PXE option (option tag 60 set to the string PXEClient) to destination port UDP 67. The client waits for a response from a valid PXE server. The emulated PXE request sent by the Windows Deployment Services client adheres to the standards specified by the PXE specification (including using the specified response delay settings).
    1. When a valid Windows Deployment Services server is located, the client sends a DHCP request packet to UDP port 4011 of the responding PXE server (in the case of static mode, the client sends the packet to the server specified with /WDSServer). The client expects a valid response (DHCP acknowledgment signal, or ACK) from the PXE server.
    2. The client connects to the Windows Deployment Services server by using the specified communication channel, and the normal installation steps continue.

Sunday, February 16, 2014 6:32 AM