Can I safely uninstall SP1 RU3? RRS feed

• Question

• After patching our Exchange environment over the weekend to SP1 RU3, and having a nightmare of a Monday, I need to revert back to RU2 version. I have two CAS servers in an array, and two MBX in a DAG. Can I safely remove this patch? Which order should I do this in?

The nightmare is that we are having major issues with "server operation timeouts", browsers where folks can login but can't send email or use the GAL, browser crashing on both firefox and safari when composing, opening, or attempting to send after a compose is complete. We are 90% Mac's and this little patch has turned our ongoing Exchange migration (now 60% complete) into a mini-disaster. We are seeing this on every imagineable combination of OS and browser versions too, so it makes troubleshooting basically moot.  Sometimes telling staff to use Firefox versus Safari or vice versa has worked however, this is NOT a solution.

I am not having problems on the PC side however, I noticed I can no longer cut and paste (options are unavailable) in my email (PC/OWA on IE8), and I am seeing all kinds of Event ID errors 2601 and 2604's on the main MBX servers (MSEXCHANGETOPOLOGY errors).

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:37 PM

Answers

• RUs can be uninstalled via Add/Remove programs, it is supported. I'm going to side with a little caution and say 'safely' is my intent with this response, but an environment showing issues needs to re-test the issues after uninstall as well. I know the timing would be 1 in a million here, but the is always the remote chance something external to Exchange is affecting those particular users or at least the ones reporting it so far.

If you've never uninstalled an RU, it may try your patience. The UI for uninstall will look like it isn't doing anything for qutie a while, but if you bring up task manager you'll see .Net is generating the needed assemblies for a long time. Have patience and it'll eventually finish. I've been tempted to force-kill the process myself before until seeing .Net was actually doing something via task manager.

If you do end up contacting support as your other threads indicates you'd like to, they may not be able to troubleshoot if RU3 is already removed. It is a bit of a catch-22 as you want to fix it, but you also want users to be happy as well.

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server
    My posts are provided “AS IS” with no guarantees, no warranties, and they confer no rights.
    • Marked as answer by David Bolton Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:07 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:14 PM

All replies

• resolved my event id errors: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2025528
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:59 PM
  • Even though I resolved the event id errors, folks continue to have issues with supposedly "supported" browsers, firefox and safari.

Still needing to hear whether I can uninstall this patch or not as it is causing major problems for us. Everything was working perfectly with SP1 RU2.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:18 PM
  • The word from Microsoft may be found here... http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2011/03/14/exchange-2010-sp1-rollup-3-and-blackberrys-sending-duplicate-messages.aspx

Our recommendation at this time for all customers is to hold off deploying RU3 until we have identified and resolved these issues. If you have already deployed RU3 and you are not seeing any issues within your environment, our recommendation is to leave RU3 in place at this time.

I'm not sure this answers your question, but certainly show's you that you are not alone, along with the official word.

Peter

Peter O'Dowd
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:57 PM
  • Thanks Peter,

It brings me really warm fuzzies when Microsoft releases a patch for a flagship product...and then pulls it after a week.

Shame on me for trusting Microsoft Q&A...wait...didnt' I make this mistake way back when on NT4...oh yeah I did ;-(

What happens after twice bitten?

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:57 PM
  • It brings me really warm fuzzies when Microsoft releases a patch for a flagship product...and then pulls it after a week.

The issue it was pulled for only affects a particular 3rd handheld device type.

At the moment I am not aware of any other confirmed wide-spread issues. I'm sure they'll be blogged about if any others are found and I encourage anyone affected who cannot find a reason/fix to open a support case. Support policy dictates not to charge for a case that turns out to be bug. There does seem to be the normal post-RU chatter of people with different issues affecting them, but many times (certainly not all) those issues are found to be caused by some particular about the way it was installed, some customization made, the environment itself.

MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    My posts are provided “AS IS” with no guarantees, no warranties, and they confer no rights.
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:57 PM
  • Hi Brian,

Thanks for the response.

We are certainly experiencing problems with this patch. We have over 700 of our 1300 users migrated to exchange. We have had more than a dozen folks who are experiencing this type of issue. 12/700 isn't that much (1.7%), but that only reflects those folks who check email daily. We have a lot of teachers that check email but once every few days, so I expect that number to rise. Unfortunately, it has been more from our heavy OWA users that we have experienced problems. And as you know, any Director level user can ruin your day rather quickly. Additionally, even 1% of you userbase is enough to taint an ongoing project.

As for installing the patch, msp's install only one way that I know of, and following the standard patch procedures for Exchange roles, the patch was installed on CAS, HUB, MBX in that order. We are a very simple environment, no UM, single forest/site and nothing other than DAG and CAS arrays.

The issue appears to be in the coding of the RU3 and whatever updates were done to the OWA portion. Since we are 90% Macintosh and 100% OWA, we may see things that others do not. Again, the issues are browser freezing (both safari and firefox) or outright crashing and it appears to be involving the java/javascript which OWA relies on heavily.

I just need to know if I can uninstall this patch safely.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:03 PM
  • RUs can be uninstalled via Add/Remove programs, it is supported. I'm going to side with a little caution and say 'safely' is my intent with this response, but an environment showing issues needs to re-test the issues after uninstall as well. I know the timing would be 1 in a million here, but the is always the remote chance something external to Exchange is affecting those particular users or at least the ones reporting it so far.

If you've never uninstalled an RU, it may try your patience. The UI for uninstall will look like it isn't doing anything for qutie a while, but if you bring up task manager you'll see .Net is generating the needed assemblies for a long time. Have patience and it'll eventually finish. I've been tempted to force-kill the process myself before until seeing .Net was actually doing something via task manager.

If you do end up contacting support as your other threads indicates you'd like to, they may not be able to troubleshoot if RU3 is already removed. It is a bit of a catch-22 as you want to fix it, but you also want users to be happy as well.

MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    • Marked as answer by David Bolton Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:07 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:14 PM
  • The only thing still missing is the order in which I need to uninstall this patch. Should I go in exact reverse order (mbx/ht/cas)  as the install or can I just follow the same install order-cas/ht/mbx ?

There are more issues to this RU than meets the eye. We have been using Steve Goodman's script to import folks' old contacts from apple mail into their contacts list, viewable in OWA. The script has been working flawlessly for months now. Since the RU install, the script runs just fine, I can see the contacts being added (nice output from the script), but when you view the contacts folder on the person's mailbox, none show up! It's as if the contacts are being added but hidden from view.

Anyway, I just need to know the uninstall order. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Friday, March 18, 2011 4:51 PM
  • Contacted Microsoft and opened a ticket. Order of uninstall: CAS,HUB,MBX. Had to rebuild the virtual directories on CAS, but everything else appears to be working fine now. Will know more when folks arrive back next week.

Additionally, the script from Steve Goodman is back in working order. Contacts are added and visible!!

Saturday, March 19, 2011 6:20 PM