Outlook 2016 Delay Rule for all sent messages but can't send early from Outbox RRS feed

• Question

• We use Exchange 2010 (On-Premise) and just went from Outlook 2010 to O365. One user has always had his sent emails delayed for 5 minutes through an Outlook delay rule.  If he wants to send an email early (after he has sent the email) he would open the email in his Outbox and click Send and the email would send early (that was in Outlook 2010).  I set up his rule in the new Outlook O365 and now if he tries to send an email out early from his Outbox the Send button doesn't do anything. If he opens the email click the Options Tab and unchecks Do not deliver before and then clicks Send it still doesn't send the email out.  If in Options he changes the time for the delivery to a time before the current time and clicks Send it will send the email out of his Outbox but it will not be delivered until the original Delay time has been met (5 minutes).  Does anyone know why he can't Send the emails out of his Outbox early by clicking Send in emails inside his Outbox like he did in Outlook 2010? I tried the same setup with my email account and it works the same way with me as it does with him.  I am using Win 7 he is using Win 10 but they both do the same thing with O365 (we both have it).
    Tuesday, June 5, 2018 6:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I can reproduce this situation here on Outlook 2016 (Both C2R and MSI version).

Currently, I haven't found related official articles. This may be by design for Outlook 2016.

However, if we delay the delivery of a message via Options > Delay Delivery, we could send the messages out immediately from Outbox through unselecting the option.

According to my research, delay rules come with an inherent problem-Outlook will send messages when the time arrives, regardless of your intentions. It will impact all the messages. As a workaround, you could manually set delay delivery for each messages.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 4:39 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Thanks you so very much for you answer! However, the user in question will not add a Delayed Delivery for each message he wants it to work the way outlook 2010 worked. Actually, from the research I have it looks to me like Outlook 2010 should have done the same thing O365 is doing. Outlook 2007 looks like it should have probably worked the way he wants and in fact I used it working for a different company years ago and it did function the way he wants O365 to function. I wonder if his O2010 was just an upgrade from O2007 and because of that this function still worked for him as it did in 2007. Well TY for you answer and if you can find some documentation stating this is actually the way it is suppose to work in O365 please send me a link (I haven't been able to find it).  Thanks you!

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 8:20 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

According to the reply from Tony in this link, if you have create a delay rule, the "Delay Delivery" options will be ignored.

As a workaround, you could try an exception. Please check the reply from our MVP in this link.

Hope this is helpful to you. If you have more concern about this feature, please send us a feedback via File > Feedback.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, June 8, 2018 7:42 AM
    Thursday, June 7, 2018 7:01 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. If the information above was helpful, could you please help mark it as answer so it will be easy for other forum members who might have similar issues to find the useful one?

Regards,

Perry

Friday, June 8, 2018 7:43 AM
  • Hi,

Just check whether the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind marking it as answer to close this case?

If you have more concern, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 7:06 AM
  • Hi,

Haven't heard from you for several days. I'm writing to see if the information above is helpful to you.

If yes, would you mind marking it as answer so that it will benefit other forum members and this case could be closed?

Regards,

Perry

Thursday, June 14, 2018 1:06 AM