Running msconfig from F8 repair RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm stuck in the dreaded Black Screen On Death (black screen with only mouse cursor. No task manager, no sticky keys, no nothing. Safe mode is the same). The only thing I can do is press F8 on boot, and choose "Repair Your PC". This lets me log in as guest, and bring up a command prompt.

Tried a couple of the things mentioned in another thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itprovistadesktopui/thread/193b7008-ce4b-4d03-acc3-b8d7ffe610d5/

Deleting the logs (by plugging the drive into another PC) didn't work.
    explorer.exe is already the shell in the registry.

The next thing I'd like to try is fiddling with msconfig. But, try as I might, there seems to be no way to get it to run. Essentially, it won't let me run it since I'm not an administrator.

I've tried logging in as administrator, it says the account is disabled.
    I've tried logging in as guest and activating the admin account, but I still can't log in as admin.
    I've tried using runas to run msconfig as admin. Didn'twork.
    I've tried changing the permissions of msconfig so I can run it as guest using icacls, but that didn't help.

Is there any way I can run msconfig?

Using Vista on an Acer laptop.

Many thanks

Hugo Elias
    Monday, December 28, 2009 1:13 PM

All replies

• Windows Vista is similar to Windows XP for starting in Safe Mode.
    • Turn the computer on or Restart the computer
    • Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
    • Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected (the top option)
    • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
    • When you are finished with troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

Try this out Hope this should resolve your problem.

Neo22!
    • Edited by Neo22 Thursday, December 31, 2009 8:35 PM corrections
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 8:32 PM