none
Gen 2 Running on Windows Server 2019 legacy virtual switch dropdown is missing and causes "Start PXE over IPv4" issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hyper-V question:

How can I get the "Start PXE over IPv4" issue to resolve?

I've installed pfSense on an older machine.   It has UEFI - the motherboard, though old, does have that tech in the BIOS.

I can get pfSense to work with Gen 1, but the configuration is tricky and works much better with Gen 2

Operating system is a Windows Server 2019.  The server has 10 GB RAM and runs on an AMD quad.   If I try to assign all four processors to the pfSense machine - or actually, any more than one processor, the machine starts with a message "Start PXE over IPv4" and hangs.

In the Gen 1, on Windows machines - I have both a Windows 2019 Core setup on the Hyper-V as well as an Enterprise Windows 8.1.  Both show the "Legacy Network Adapter" in the Add Hardware dropdown of the "Settings".   The FreeBSD OS does not show the Legacy Network Adapter in the drop down list.

Just to make it fun, I get a good deal of hate each time I bring down this network.   It will be a happy hoppy group that has that interface down for the shortest amount of time.

I'd like to retool the server to be ONLY pfSense and remove the Hyper-V.   It is tested and working as a router - but with only one of the virtual processors running, pfSense is sluggish.

I found something here but my knowledge of Linux is sketchy and I can't be sure what this fix does or even if it has relevance => https://www.thegeekpub.com/14848/pfsense-hangs-at-booting/

To put this another way - what is the possibility that some tweak made to the Hyper-V system has caused this PXE issue to raise it's head?

R, J

• Edited by Crakdkorn Sunday, September 27, 2020 7:09 PM
    Sunday, September 27, 2020 1:07 PM

All replies

• When you create your instance from the iso (FreeBSD distribution of pfSense), make sure that you wask carefully through the installation phase.  pfSense must be installed using PXE.  If you know Linux, take a look at the /var/lib/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default.   There should be on there.

Yes, I know I am answering myself with a different email.   Linux is new to me.  I'm still getting a handle on it.

Monday, September 28, 2020 1:34 AM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, your question is about Hyper-V, please post your question on Microsoft Q&A forum, with tag windows-server-clustering, relate product supporter will provide you detail suggestion:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/topics/windows-server-clustering.html

Thank you for your understanding. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

"High Availability (Clustering)" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "High Availability (Clustering)"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Thursday, October 1, 2020 1:30 AM