none
Windows Easy Transfer - does it move or copy the files and settings from the old machine? RRS feed

• Question

•  

This may seem like a studpid questions but I do not wish to render my old machine useless if I transfer settings and files from my old Vista machine to the new Vista macgine. I was hoping I could use the WET to set the Vista setting in my new machine. It would saved me a lot of time.

Everything I read said it will "move" not "copy" the settings and files. I just need to know it will not remove the files and settings from the old machine but only copy them.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:18 PM

Answers

• Hi

It 'copies' the files and settings.

All of the files and settings will remain intact on the old system.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 6:14 PM

All replies

• Hi

It 'copies' the files and settings.

All of the files and settings will remain intact on the old system.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 6:14 PM
  • Thanks, that makes sense but I thought I'd ask. Too bad the documentation does not say "copies" settings and files.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:50 PM
  • Hi

It really is a common question because the documentation is not very clear about the exact process that will be performed.

Glad this helped.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:09 AM
  • Glad I found this post as I was wondering the same thing.  Using WET to get the desktop settings and accounts to the laptop I became concerned-- everywhere seeing the word TRANSFER and nothing mentioning files stay put on the old computer...
    Monday, May 16, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Same for me, glad to know I wasn't the only one thrown by their documentation.  Microsoft should consider revising it.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 8:28 PM