System Error 64 has occurred. Windows 2008 server (x64). RRS feed

• Question

• Remoting into the system is no problem, but trying to access it via share is difficult.  C$, D$, etc. will timeout and fail.  Net View commands provide the error in the title.  It's internal to our network, so it's got no firewall software of any kind on.

2 3GHz processors, 16GB ram.

Looks like NetBIOS specifically is having this problem, but I'm not sure the best way to handle this.  Any questions needed regarding the environment?
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:14 AM

All replies

• Please detail a litle more your problem.
    What are you trying to do? Install FSC to clients ???? what accesing the server, by the clients....

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 9:26 AM
  • Accessing the C drive remotely.  So going into a browser window and typing \\server\c$.

This is where we see the problem.

Addendum:  Something more that I've discovered is as follows.

Apparently on any of the XP boxes (even when logged in as the domain admin proper) you can't browse \\server2008\c$, but a vista box can.  So this looks to be something with that specific server, as we have other 2008 boxes that can allow XP clients to browse their c$ share if the user already has sufficient rights.

• Edited by SeaTurtle Wednesday, August 6, 2008 2:50 PM additional information discovered
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 11:01 PM
  • SeaTurtle,

We you able to resolve this issue or did Microsoft provide you with any other information?

Thanks

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:51 PM
  • You would probably be better served asking this question in a windows networking forum instead as this does not seem to have anything to do with Forefront Client Security.  This could be any number of various networking issues from what I could see.  Might be a good idea t test the shares locally on the system ie \\localhost\share and then remotely test them and get a network trace while doing it and compare to a network trace for another system that works.
    CSS Security Support Engineer (FCS/MBSA/WUA/Incident Response) Check out my blog http://blogs.technet.com/kfalde
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 4:49 PM