Publishing SharePoint 2007 with Web Template concerns RRS feed

• Question

• Hello UAG Experts Community,

Recently due to some problems with publishing SharePoint 2007 in UAG a member of our team suggested to use the generic Web Application template, which worked when publishing the MOSS site in a test environment. However we are concerned as which type of security breaches and functionality problems this type of publication brings as we are not using the built in SharePoint 2007? or what work should be done around this type of publishing in case the moss 2007 template is not used?

Your input in this regard is very much appreacited.

Regards,

MC

Sunday, July 22, 2012 5:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Marinho,

If you publish SharePoint 2007 with a generic web template then you will loose some of the advanced functionality which SharePoint can bring for control of external clients (which is why AAM's need to be used).  The SharePoint template also has a quite extensive list of URL rules built into it which provide part of the security which UAG brings.  All you will be doing is publishing SharePoint as a normal website, to achieve the same security you will have to manually build up this rule set.

I would advise than you look to resolve the issues you are having with the SharePoint template - if you post the issues here someone may be able to help.

Regards,

Sean.

Sean Seaman IT Security Consultant Sapphire

• Marked as answer by Marinho Coast Tuesday, July 24, 2012 1:12 AM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 11:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Marinho,

If you publish SharePoint 2007 with a generic web template then you will loose some of the advanced functionality which SharePoint can bring for control of external clients (which is why AAM's need to be used).  The SharePoint template also has a quite extensive list of URL rules built into it which provide part of the security which UAG brings.  All you will be doing is publishing SharePoint as a normal website, to achieve the same security you will have to manually build up this rule set.

I would advise than you look to resolve the issues you are having with the SharePoint template - if you post the issues here someone may be able to help.

Regards,

Sean.

Sean Seaman IT Security Consultant Sapphire

• Marked as answer by Marinho Coast Tuesday, July 24, 2012 1:12 AM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 11:21 AM
  • Hi Sean,

Thanks for your reply it helps me and I totally agree with what you say.

Marinho

Monday, July 23, 2012 10:02 PM