Proclarity Analytics Server (PAS) Standard Client on Windows Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have two Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Servers.  One is 64 bit and is running SQL Server 2008.  The other is 32 bit and running PAS.  They are both VMWare virtual servers hosted on the same physical ESX server.

I have installed PAS 6.3 SP2 as per the documentation on the 32 bit box and have implemented Kerberos between the two servers.  The problem I have is that I have set up some SSAS roles with dimensional data restrictions for some users.  When I use Web Pro to open a Briefing book and connect to the cube as one of the restricted users then it connects fine and shows the restricted data.  However, when I use the Standard client to open a Briefing book then I get the following message 

'The select page could not be opened because the cube could not be found'

This normally suggests a Kerberos issue but I can see from the SQL server security event viewer that the user is authenticating correctly and I can see from Profiler that the user is logging on to the cube.  For this reason I don't believe it is Kerberos.

I have discovered that if I set a user as an Administrator on the AS database then the problem disappears and the Briefing book can be displayed but becasue the user is an Administrator then there are no dimensional restrictions which obviously isn't acceptable.

Any suggestions welcome.

regs

Matt
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 10:42 PM

All replies

• Is the Web Pro installed on the PAS box?  If not, I'd try that test, as the Web Pro might give you a little more helpful error message.

But the fact that users with admin rights to the cube can connect certainly indicates something in the cube security setup causing the issue.  How are you setting up those permissions?  Just using SSMS UI?

Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 10:59 PM