none
WINDOWS 10 POWERSHELL IS NOT OPENING RRS feed

• Question

• WHEN I JUST START WINDOWS POWERSHELL IT STARTS BUT IT IS NOT OPENING IT SHOWS ITS ICON THE THE TASK BAR BUT STILL WHEN I CLICK ON IT . IT IS NOT OPENING. PLEASE HELP ME TO FIX THIS PROBLEM.
    Sunday, November 5, 2017 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to confirm:
    (1) Windows version and build (Windows 7 ?)
    (2) How to start PowerShell (from cmd.exe ?)

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Sunday, November 5, 2017 11:01 PM
  • Hi,

Did any error pop up after a few seconds? When did the issue happen, did it happen after you perform an upgrade?

Run the application via directory C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows PowerShell to see if it will work.

Here are a few steps that can help you narrow down the issue:

1.Change a account with administrator permission to login and test again.

2.Run SFC /SCANNOW in cmd as administrator to fix the corrupted system files.

3.If the error message is Restricted access, type the regedit in Search Box and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun. In the right panel, check if the Powershell is listed. If it is list, try to delete it.

4.Go to Event Log to see if there is any related errors exist.

5.Right click the application and choose Properties-Font tab,change the font and reopen it.

6.Uninstall and reinstall the framework.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=50395&751be11f-ede8-5a0c-058c-2ee190a24fa6=True

7.Update the powershell

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/setup/installing-windows-powershell?view=powershell-5.1

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 6, 2017 2:40 AM
  • Please check the following:

1) can you open and use administrative command prompt?

2) can you use the start menu and task bar without problems with other icons?

3) if you switch users can you use powershell?

Perform the following steps:

1) open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:

2) sfc /scannow

3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

4) net user test /add

5) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

6) shutdown /r

7) when the computer reboots sign on with the new user named test > check powershell > report results into the thread for the new user.

Monday, November 6, 2017 10:27 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates?

If you have any further problems,feel free to contact me.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 1:31 AM
  • Please update the thread and let us know your progress.

Which steps worked?

Which steps did not work?

What still needs troubleshooting?

Thursday, November 9, 2017 12:55 AM
  • WHEN I JUST START WINDOWS POWERSHELL IT STARTS BUT IT IS NOT OPENING IT SHOWS ITS ICON THE THE TASK BAR BUT STILL WHEN I CLICK ON IT . IT IS NOT OPENING. PLEASE HELP ME TO FIX THIS PROBLEM.

It's the same problem with me. Maybe it occurs on windows 10 only, because it worked in windows 7.
    Sunday, April 1, 2018 1:10 PM