none
Expected behavior of "Deliverable/Sync Dependencies" operations in Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to confirm that behavior I am seeing in my customer's Project 2010 system is indeed correct. I think it is, but I can't find the documentation to confirm!

My customer makes extensive use of "Deliverables" and "Deliverable Dependencies" in their portfolio. The master planner has noticed that when she executes a "Sync Dependencies", all tasks with dependent deliverable links get a constraint added (usually FNLT), and possibly a task shift.  This is not the behavior she wants, but by my thinking, that is what "Sync" means!

I think she might want to do only a "Manage Dependencies", and "update from Server" which will set all the external deliverable dates to match what is in the Project Workspaces' "Deliverables" list, and adjust the Gantt chart's bar for the dependent deliverables, but not affect the schedule.

Am I right in my thinking, or is there a way to NOT screw with a schedule if you perform "Sync Dependencies"?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jackson T. Cole, PMP, MCITP

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 9:48 PM

Answers

• You are right in your thinking.  I suppose there might be a use case for Syncing Dependencies, but I've never come across one.

Reid McTaggart – DeltaBahn Vice President
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can help other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Jackson Cole Wednesday, June 5, 2013 2:08 AM
    Tuesday, June 4, 2013 9:53 PM