none
Project Web Access Tab Errors When Clicked RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - I'm having trouble w/ accessing Project Web Access from SharePoint.  We are running Project Server 2007.  One of the administrators was having issues checking-in a project.  He searched the web and eventually ran 'psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force'.  After running this command the Project Web Access tab just errors out.  I've tried restarting all the services (both sharepoint, and the 2 project services).  I've also restarted IIS and rebooted the server and ran the psconfigui.exe (just to try something).  I then changed the web.config file to display the full error (originally it just gave the 'unexpected error').  The stack trace is .....

[SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
      at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Base.PlatformContext.PreInitialize(Guid trackingId, Guid siteId, SPUrlZone urlZone, String lcid)
      at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Base.PlatformContext..ctor(Boolean isWindowsUser, String username, Guid userId, Guid trackingId, Guid siteId, SPUrlZone urlZone, String lcid)
      at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Base.PlatformContext..ctor(IPSContextInfo psContextInfo)
      at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.WebService.Utility.AuthenticateRequest(HttpContext context)
      at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.WebService.Utility.GetContext()
      at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.WebService.Authentication.GetUserByName(Boolean isProjUser, String username)
      --- End of inner exception stack trace ---]
      Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJContext.AuthenticateUserForPWA(Boolean validateUser, String username, Boolean checkTimebomb) +3694
      Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJContext.AuthenticateUserForPWA(Boolean newCookie) +2166
      Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJContext.GetContext(Boolean isWebServiceCall, Boolean newCookie, Guid siteId, Nullable`1 zone) +616
      Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJBaseWebPartPage..ctor() +403
      ASP.DEFAULT_ASPX__196255328..ctor() +18
      __ASP.FastObjectFactory_app_web_default_aspx__196255328_rocvwtri.Create_ASP_DEFAULT_ASPX__196255328() +31
      System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean noAssert) +138
      System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandlerHelper(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath) +50
      System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig) +503
      System.Web.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +142
      System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +263

I'm not very familiar w/ either sharepoint or project server, so I appologize if this is the wrong forum, or if I haven't provided enough detail. 

Thanks for any help!

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:43 AM Why people running Project Server 2007 post to a SharePoint forum when there is a perfectly good Project Server forum is something I'll never understand. (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 5:25 AM

Answers

• Action 1: Open IIS --> Application pool --> Check the identity of OfficeServerApplicationPool -->Change back to Netowrk service if it is something else.

Later check the PWA.

Action 2: Open Sharepoint central admin --> Click on Shared Services Administration --> Edit the properties of the SSP --> Provide the password for that account and save changes

Later check the PWA.

Action 3: Check whether the site's alternate access mappings are appropriate

Action 4: Create new web application and create new PWA, check the status of that PWA

Narrow down where the issue occurs.....

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:45 PM