none
Application is failing to open with GPO applied

Question

• I have a new application that i need to deploy in our environment. Its a web based app and opens a login window.

Opening an app in vm with all the GPO's is failing. I see a splash windows and nothing else.

On another vm which is moved to a container with no gpo's applied i am able to open an app.

I dont really see how using RSOP and/or running gpresult to generate a report will help me to find out what is blocking the application.

I could not find anything in the eventvwr as well.

What would be the steps or tools to troubleshoot such an issue?

Thanks for the help.

Monday, May 16, 2016 8:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Ogeccut,

I suggest you check if the software restriction policy blocked the Application.

In addition, to check if there is deny rule of Applocker for the application.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 20, 2016 6:25 AM

All replies

• if there is a setting delivered via Group Policy which tightens/hardens/secures the IE settings, that could be the cause.

It might also be related to a Windows setting delivered via Group Policy.

some browser-based applications require relaxed IE or Windows settings, depending upon the nature of the application functionality (eg authentication settings, applets execution settings, script execution settings, ActiveX settings, plugins/help-object settings, or even the site-to-zone settings can be important, depending upon the nature of your environment.

the application developer or support team can often provide very useful guidance on the required/necessary browser settings for the application to function correctly. Often, such teams will already have this knowledge prepared and available to assist, this will help you focus on the specific settings required.

otherwise if no such support information is available, you may test various settings by introducing one setting at a time (start from clean/none, and add each setting, and retest)

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Monday, May 16, 2016 9:38 PM
  • Hi Ogeccut,

Did you configure any software restriction policy?

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:31 AM
  • The problem is that vendor does not have a clue about their product. And i have inherited an environment with tons of different GPO's. I understand that i can create an OU with no GPO's and then start linking one by one, but wanted to know if there is a quicker way.

Thanks. 

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 1:08 PM
  • Yes i have few thing in software restriction policy

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 6:15 PM
  • Hi Ogeccut,

I suggest you check if the software restriction policy blocked the Application.

In addition, to check if there is deny rule of Applocker for the application.

Best Regards,

Jay

Friday, May 20, 2016 6:25 AM