Troubleshooting with Task Pane in windowsXP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,
    My computer : Toshiba Mini Notebook NB205
    my OS : Windows XP

Following a virus infection as I was looking for a Microsoft Fixit (be careful guys someone on the net (from China) is using the name Microsoft Fix it name to confuse you and get into your computer. When you start opening the program after the first window appears the NEXT button is in Chinese)and if you push it you get an infection.
    After cleaning the infection with my antivirus my computer started acting weird.
    1) Explorer started opening folders always in a new window. I solved the problem by making the following .cmd file which I had a hard time to find on different forums:
    @echo off
    :: 32 bit and 64 bit
    IF EXIST "%SystemRoot%\System32\actxprxy.dll" "%SystemRoot%\System32\regsvr32.exe" "%SystemRoot%\System32\actxprxy.dll"
    and a reboot
    2) The troubleshooting problem is as follow.

Instead of opening on the windows XP image as mentioned in Wikipedia link for Windows Explorer
    on the Windows Explorer side bar, known as EXPLORER BAR in the View expanded MENU bar . When I open "My Documents", "My Pictures", "My Music", "My computer" the window keeps opening with the button FOLDERS like it was already clicked and when I go to VIEW on the menu bar and expand it, then go to the EXPLORER BAR MENU, I can see that the FOLDER option is selected (other options for this so called Explorer bar are Search,Favorites,History).
    I need someone to tell me what is the command line for explorer to open on the traditional window instead of the folders view.
    Can someone tell me which command line I should use to solve this 2) problem?
    Thank you for your help. 

Friday, March 28, 2014 6:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You posted at a wrong forum. This is a forum for SCE product. Please post at Windows Client Forum again. Anyway, There is a very long time that I have not touched a Windows XP box. The suggestion I can give is to export a registry hive from a working computer HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer, then merge it with this problematic computer.

Note: Backup your registry before doing this. If anything unexpected happen, restore from the backup.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Juke Chou Monday, March 31, 2014 10:52 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Juke Chou Thursday, April 10, 2014 2:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, April 10, 2014 2:37 AM
    Monday, March 31, 2014 10:51 AM
  • Hi JukeThank you for your help. The Ramesh link worked but once I restart my computer the same troubleshooting occurs. Therefore I totally reinstalled the service.  In the Help and Support Properties panel, Recovery Tab, I had to choose "restart the service" for the first failure as well as for the second failure. In "subsequent failure" I chose "run a program" that runs the Batch file for reinstalling the Help and Support Service.

Thank you again

• Marked as answer by Kagemushai Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:13 PM
    Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You posted at a wrong forum. This is a forum for SCE product. Please post at Windows Client Forum again. Anyway, There is a very long time that I have not touched a Windows XP box. The suggestion I can give is to export a registry hive from a working computer HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer, then merge it with this problematic computer.

Note: Backup your registry before doing this. If anything unexpected happen, restore from the backup.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Juke Chou Monday, March 31, 2014 10:52 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Juke Chou Thursday, April 10, 2014 2:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, April 10, 2014 2:37 AM
    Monday, March 31, 2014 10:51 AM
  • Hi JukeThank you for your help. The Ramesh link worked but once I restart my computer the same troubleshooting occurs. Therefore I totally reinstalled the service.  In the Help and Support Properties panel, Recovery Tab, I had to choose "restart the service" for the first failure as well as for the second failure. In "subsequent failure" I chose "run a program" that runs the Batch file for reinstalling the Help and Support Service.

Thank you again

• Marked as answer by Kagemushai Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:13 PM
    Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:13 PM