Upstream content store grew excessively since downstream server was added RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I recently noticed that the content store of our primary WSUS server increased from about 20 GB to 90 GB. A colleague of mine set up a secondary WSUS server as a downstream server, at first in autonomous mode, then in replica mode. The upstream server’s content store grew excessively ever since.

I used bitsadmin to look at the queue on the upstream server and to my surprise it was downloading updates for products which are not even selected there (e.g. Exchange 2007). I would like to understand why. Assuming the downstream server is in autonomous mode and requires updates which the upstream server does not have, does the upstream server download these updates on behalf of the downstream server?

I would like to clean up the content store on the upstream server. I deleted the downstream servers, ran the cleanup tool and declined all superseded updates which are no longer needed. Unfortunately this did not make much difference. The upstream content store is still 87 GB. I am aware of the wsusutil /reset command, however, I would like to avoid downloading all updates from scratch. Is there a way to clean up this mess?

I would appreciate if someone could shed some light on this.

Thanks, Stefan

Friday, June 5, 2015 3:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Stefan,

>>Assuming the downstream server is in autonomous mode and requires updates which the upstream server does not have, does the upstream server download these updates on behalf of the downstream server?

Yes. The downstream server will request the upstream server to download the update when it can't find specific update in the upstream server.

>> Is there a way to clean up this mess?

Please run the server cleanup wizard with all options checked. When you delete the downstream server, all the updates requested by it will be treated as unneeded updates.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 8, 2015 9:06 AM
  • Hi Steven

Thanks for your reply.

That's exactly what I have done - unfortunately the upstream content folder did not shrink by much. I have another WSUS server in a different branch with the same product categories and basically the same amount of unapproved/approved/declined updates etc. In this branch the content folder is only 21 GB, compared to 87 GB.

Regards, Stefan

Monday, June 8, 2015 9:23 AM
  • Any other ideas, anyone?

Thanks, Stefan

Thursday, June 11, 2015 7:40 AM
  • Hi Stefan,

If server cleanup wizard doesn't work, we may try to reset the WSUS server. But it may take a long time to re-download the updates.

For detailed procedure about how to reset WSUS, please refer to the link below,

http://blogs.technet.com/b/gborger/archive/2009/02/27/what-to-do-when-your-wsuscontent-folder-grows-too-large.aspx

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 25, 2015 9:39 AM