none
How to prevent project form changing work hours entered in Resource usage? RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Project for portfolio management and not actual project management.

I have app. 20 projects in my project file - with multiple resources assigned per project, and the same resources are shared by different projects.

I use the resource usage view for entering estimated work hours per month for each resource per project. Unfortunately, project keeps changing the work hours entered, eg. if I change the duration or if I change the hours for one resource, the hours entered for other resources assigned to the same project change.

I have changed the rules to Fixed Work - but I think it fixes the overall work hours for the project and not the work hours entered for the individual resources.

Is there a way to fix the resource usage view, so that it only changes, when I enter something?

Br. Anne

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Fixed work applies to the Task, assuming you use auto scheduled tasks (manually scheduled behave as though they are fixed duration, non-effort driven tasks).  You have to remember that for each assignment, work = units * duration, and so if you change one value, another will change.  Depending on where you make the changes, different results may appear to you.

If you are using the Resource usage view, where are you changing the work value, in the right hand table or left hand.  If the left hand, then project needs to decide where to add/remove the work you are amending, and so it may increase/decrease durations of the tasks based upon this assignment and the others on the task.  If the right hand side, then you are effectively altering the duration of that assignment manually.

It would be easier to show you in a demo, but given that this isn't an option and you are responsible for managing 20 projects using MS Project, I would suggest you spend some time getting familiar with the scheduling concepts of work, duration and assignment units.  

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 11:40 AM