none
Can't open any of the .exe files in any USBs!

Question

• Here is the link to my original thread:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-exe-files-all-exe-files-in-any-usb/69d05a8e-7723-4c09-bae9-406c9968eb0b

Some specs:

Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763

System Model: VPCCW21FD, Sony Corporation

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU       M 330  @ 2.13GHz, 2133 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. R0140Y7, 26-02-2010

Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB

Total Physical Memory: 3.23 GB

This one is 32-bit.

Sunday, February 10, 2019 6:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Dinh,

This can occur if you have a Local or Group Policy that denys execute

Administrative Templates\System\Removable Storage Access\Removable Disks: Deny execute access

Ben Whitmore | Technical Architect | byteben.com github.com/byteben | twitter.com/byteben

Sunday, February 10, 2019 7:12 AM
  • Hi,

The following document may be helpful:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file" error when you try to install, update or start a program or file

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2669244/-windows-cannot-access-the-specified-device,-path,-or-file-error-when-you-try-to-install,-update-or-start-a-program-or-file

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:19 AM
  • Hi Dinh,

This can occur if you have a Local or Group Policy that denys execute

Administrative Templates\System\Removable Storage Access\Removable Disks: Deny execute access

(Image)

Ben Whitmore | Technical Architect | byteben.com github.com/byteben | twitter.com/byteben

Not working since all are NOT CONFIGURED.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 10:04 AM
  • Hi,

The following document may be helpful:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file" error when you try to install, update or start a program or file

(Link)

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact (email).

Read that and... did not help me. 'Cause I have read that a dozen times.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 10:07 AM
  • No idea if this will help or whether you would regard it as a proper solution even if it does.

It has been widely reported that the "exe on a usb" issue arises when the user is NOT logged on to either a domain or a Microsoft account (eg outlook.com). If you are using a local account I suggest you try one of those.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 7:48 PM
  • Hi Dinh,

>By the way, on the same computer (64-bit)

Are you trying to install windows 10 32 bit in place of windows 10 64 bit? If yes it won't work. You need to create a new partition and start from scratch. 

Momominta

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:05 PM
  • Hi Dinh,

>By the way, on the same computer (64-bit)

Are you trying to install windows 10 32 bit in place of windows 10 64 bit? If yes it won't work. You need to create a new partition and start from scratch. 

Momominta

I tried. This is 32-but and NOT 64-bit. Two of them are in two different partitions. Both failed after the 2nd restart. (Well, I have NOT tried to turn off the wireless internet)
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 12:06 AM
  • No idea if this will help or whether you would regard it as a proper solution even if it does.

It has been widely reported that the "exe on a usb" issue arises when the user is NOT logged on to either a domain or a Microsoft account (eg outlook.com). If you are using a local account I suggest you try one of those.

I’ve done twice. Actually offline or online account makes no differences. They still failed to execute after the second restart.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 1:40 AM